Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tires at Costco

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  PDX:6.7 
#1 ·
Just bought the wife a new car (GMC Acadia) and am going to be getting a $700 Costco Card as a rebate through the Costco auto program. Since my 250 will be needing tires this year I thought I could use it toward some rubber.

In looking at Costco's website it looks like the only options for our trucks are Michelin Defender's (295/70/18) or BFG KO2's in (285/65 or 35x12.50). I have a 1.5" coil lift in the front so I am leaning towards the BFG 35's. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
unless they have changed their policy, you will not be able to get anything other than OEM size as well. I tried years ago and they would not put on a larger tire than the oem size.. like I said, it was a while ago..

#5 ·
I had that issue a couple trucks ago. They wouldn't install >3% bigger tire than what was on there. Im wondering if that is still the case and if they would install on bare wheels if I just brought them in?

Also I guess I could buy just the tires and have them installed elsewhere. I think I have heard that Discount Tire will sell certificates even if you dont buy the tires from them but Im not sure about that?

#6 ·
I saw on their website they also have the KM2's in 35x12.50, you need to search by sizes not the vehicle finder. But a set of them is almost $2000 lol.

You can apply the cash card number during check out on their website and they ship them to the store so you might be able to use that card. It also said you can choose to not have them installed by them and they will refund $14/tire.

There is a disclaimer you need to accept before ordering and it said the tires need to be authorized by the manufacturer and be the same as or exceed the stock load rating for them to install them. 35x12.50 is pretty close to the stock size and as long as it's E rated you should be fine.

#9 ·
I saw on their website they also have the KM2's in 35x12.50, you need to search by sizes not the vehicle finder. But a set of them is almost $2000 lol.
I did see those but given their cost and the limited amount of wheeling the truck sees (I have a CJ for that) I dismissed those as an option. Maybe they can order some other options in. Ill have to stop by and see.

thx

#7 ·
$2000 for a set of 35x12.5/18 BFG KO2's? Here in Oregon, they run $1240. Cray cray!

#8 ·
I had bfg a/t's on my 08 f350 and they didn't last 20k miles, I was very dissapointed in them, been running toyo mt's since then and I'm getting 50k out of them, well they're still above the wear bars so still could run them.

Reactions: Buppies
#11 ·
I had the ko's, i won't get another set of them after my experience with them. My buddy runs them on his 150 and loves them and just got a set of the ko 2's. My mechanic was baffled when I told him I needed new tires after 20k said it was probably the weight of the truck wearing them.

#13 ·
I ran into Costco's OEM requirement when I wanted skinnier snow tires for my Subaru. I ended up just buying from Coltco and having them installed elsewhere. Costco will sell without the installation fee.

#16 ·
Maybe as a employee of Costco, they let me put 1 size larger on my F-250, it came with a 265 size and they put a 285 size on my truck, that's as big as they would let it go, I will have too ask again because they have changed some of the policies on tire's. We just started where we will rotate and balance tires that where not purchased at Costco, so for me right now since the tires on my truck where on the truck when I bought it, I can get them rotated at work now.

#18 ·
BFG AT KO's on my last F150 had 100,000miles on them when I traded the truck in for my F250. Had enough tread still. So there is likely something having to do with the vehicle weight comparing 150's and 250's.

#19 ·
Yea it's amazing the extra weight from 3/4 ton and up trucks kill certain tires and for what you pay for bfg's it's ridiculous, I won't ever get anything but toyo mt's anymore after I've had the same set on 3 different f350s!

#20 ·
I know several people that run the BFG KOs in half ton suburbans and 1500 pickups and love them and say they last forever. But very rarely do I see a 3/4 ton and bigger running them. Must be the weight of the truck wears them faster..most people run toyos around here

#26 ·
BFG KOs are pretty popular around here on the 3/4 ton+ trucks. I'm on my second set on my '96 F250 and got about 50K out of the first set and should see about the same on the second. I could likely go further, but I like having a decent amount of tread for winter and offroad driving. I plan on going with the KO2s for the '16, but am having a hard time stomaching the bill for 9" wheels due to the size I want to run.

Another advantage to the BFG KOs is that they have the little snowflake symbol on the sidewall, meaning they are "severe snow service" rated, which gets me out of throwing chains on the truck when they are normally required.

#21 ·
I have 40k miles on my BFG A/Ts and while they don't look new, they will easily get me 60K miles. Mixed city/highway driving and 4k miles per year towing our fifth wheel around. I wonder if there is a difference in miles that the tires last between the D and E rated tires. Mine are E rated. 325/65R18.

#24 · (Edited)
I went by my local Costco and talked with their tire guy. He said they will install tires >3% over stock as long as they meet speed/load ratings of the OEM spec. They said they were losing a lot of business with the old policy.

This store can only get Michelin/BFG/Conti, but may be able to get sizes not on the website from their local warehouse. Unfortunately they are limited to what they will install on stock wheels to what is indicated on the fitment from the tire manufacturer, so no 35's on my stock 18x8" (says requires 8.5"+). They could do the 295/70 Michelin Defender's on the stock wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.