Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

H&S and truck trading

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Big_Smokey 
#1 ·
So I know when you disconnect the tuner from the truck it maintains the off road tuning needed to run without egr,dpf. Stock power.

So if I trade my truck what happens to the next person who may try to install a tuner. And could ford disable those systems to allow the stock tunes to be put on to not cause any problems for someone else.

#2 ·
Is this truck deleted? If so, that truck won't run very well (or at all) if you don't have a tuner.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but you can't use the tuner on another truck until you return the one that is tuned back to stock. Once the truck is tuned, the tuner is locked to that truck. This may be different for some tuners, but that's how I remember H&S working.

Can Ford put a stock tune back on it? Probably. Are they going to charge you to do it? Probably... a lot.

#3 ·
You CAN use the tuner on another truck... However, you will need to re licence the tuner and that will cost you a few $.

It is also kind of a d1ck move because the new owner will have to go through the hassle of buying a new tuner, paying the dealer to reflash, then re tuning the truck.

But, if you do trade it in and keep the tuner please put it on the lightest tune you have. It is an EASY way to screw the new owner. Imagine if you had a 300hd tune and they try towing a heavy load. You will cost them at least head gaskets, and very possibly the motor because they have no way of watching temps.

#4 ·
On 6.4s and 6.7s soon as u disconnect the tuner or shut it off it goes to lowest stage automatically at least that's how my minimax is

#5 ·
it's not a dick move because used trucks pretty much never get sold with the tuners. dealers don't want to answer any questions or have any implied warranty on the tuner itself

just going off of what I've seen over the years.

and a 6.4 DOES NOT go to the lowest stage when you remove it. it will stay on whatever power level you leave it on indefinitely. a 6.7 will revert to the lowest power level, however.

#6 ·
I know that when I bought my tuner used all I had to do was make sure that the previous owner had returned his tune state to stock and remove the tuner. No re-issuing or anything like that.

Otherwise, the tuner would not work until I got a license for my truck.

I agree with CrazyS0b. I do think it's a pretty uncool move to sell a truck in a tuned state without a tuner. Also, I'm pretty sure if the dealer reflashed a truck that had no DPF or EGR that you aren't going to get very far in that truck without it going into limp mode or at least lighting the CEL up. I've never tried returning the truck to completely stock tuning with the deletes done.

And, my 6.4 stays on whatever tune I left it on indefinitely. I took my tuner out of my truck (and now can't find it) and it's still set on Wild.

#7 ·
If you need a stock exhaust setup to sell the truck and detune the DPF delete, I got one! Located in Ohio :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.