Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dual alt fire- common issue?

730 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dieselcrawler 
#1 ·
Hello to the 6.4 world...

I've only had 7.3 experiance to this point, but recently changed jobs, and the company I now work for has some 6.4's and 6.7's in the fleet, so I'll be learning more about them.

However, in this case, a friend of mine has a '10 F250 KR with dual alt. Truck sat for 2 weeks, he drove it about 200 yards and shut down/parked it. Got out, started to walk away, noticed smoke coming from under hood. He started it back up, quickly moved it away from the building he had just parked next to, shut down and popped the hood, fire ext in hand. Hosed it down and pulled both batt cables.

I looked at it, no obviously burned wires, but the lower alt looks burned inside, the top one looks normal.

Have any of you had lower dual alt issues? Short out internally? Wiring issues? Any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
mine is single alt but mine caught on fire this winter… always carry a fire can in the truck
I almost think it was my batteries that did it in

#3 ·
We have seen a couple issues, not just with 6.4's though. I think drew had one smoke on him, and there was someone else too...

#4 ·
I havent heard back from my friend yet... I'll let y'all know what the issue turned out to be.

#5 ·
Seems the alternator shorted out internally. My wife's uncle (local ford dealer tech) will be changing it out and we'll hope no other damage was done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.