Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Why Can't We Have Anything Nice?

3K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Alberta Advantage 
#1 · (Edited)
Just venting about something that happened today. My truck was parked on the street while I attended classes today at school. When I walked back to my truck this afternoon, I noticed that my mirror wasn't exactly how I left it this morning. My worst nightmare was becoming a reality as I got closer. A debris field of broken mirror glass and plastic that stretched from where my mirror was to about 10-15 feet in front of my truck. Some SOB sideswiped my truck and didn't have the decency to leave a note. The mirror is toast. Went to the dealership and a replacement mirror is $2038 and change for a driver's side heated, power folding/telescoping mirror. I will then have to buy a pair of Recon smoked mirror marker lights to match my passenger side mirror. I have a deep gouge in my front fender flare (didn't get a quote for that yet) and my fender has a scratch running from the front of the driver's side front fender flare to the headlight. There is also some scuffs on the front bumper. Going to try and get a quote for the damage tomorrow. I'm tempted to just replace the mirror out of pocket and leave the battle wounds. I'm starting to figure out as I get older that there are more and more dishonest, valueless people out there who just don't care about anyone but themselves. As much as I love my truck, I'm driving this thing into the ground as I know the second I buy a new car and park it at the back of a lot, some piece of sh!t will park beside me and put a dent in my door. Although it's hard to swallow that my baby's injured, it would be way worse if I had a brand new King Ranch or Platinum truck that lost a mirror and has some scrapes.

Former Glory

Today's Battle Scars

See less See more
#3 ·
That's no fun, I feel for ya mate. In the past six months I have had 1 mirror broke in a parking lot , somebody attempting to steal diesel break off there syphon hose in the filler neck (required taking off the bed to get it out), and someone screw up my passenger side door lock with what I would guess was a screwdriver (key no longer works in that door).

#4 ·
There's scrapes but no dents. I think I might be able to cover the scratch on the front fender with some Bushwacker flares and a claybar treatment. I was on Sunrise Ford Part's website and a primed OEM fender flare was close to $250 so it might be time for me to bite the bullet and step up to some Bushwacker flares. As for the bumper, I assume they'd have to paint/blend the whole bumper as there's a large scuff. The labor to remove my lightbars and reinstall them might make it worthwhile to upgrade to an aftermarket bumper with some sort of pre runner bar for my lightbars. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I take it in for an estimate to see if I should pay out of pocket or go through insurance.

#6 ·
Alberta,

Go back to the scene and look around. Any businesses that have cameras where maybe they got the culprit on video.
I had something similar happen to me last year (granted I was at Lowe's) and they got it on video. The guy lived in Seward (about 100+ miles from me). The cops sent a car down there, charged him with leaving the scene of an accident, failure to report and hit and run. Plus it cost him another $2000 to fix my truck. I guarantee you that he will NEVER do that again...

I feel for you. That really sucks. sorry bro!

#7 ·
This happened on a residential street so I doubt there's anyone with surveillance cameras. I also park three blocks/streets in so there's lots of escape routes for someone to go down so they might not take the street where there's a fast food place that may have a camera but I doubt it's pointed at the roadway as the restauranr is pretty set back from the road to accomodate a drive thru. Just some bad luck. I'll get over it.

#8 ·
That sucks. ive always been paranoid about this since I got the truck so I even got into the habit of folding my mirrors in on my driveway. It's to bad some people have no respect for someone else's property. Did you happen to check the kijiji listings? I know I've seen mirrors for well less than that on there.

#9 ·
There's someone in Red Deer selling a driver's side mirror for $700. Seems like it would work but with the other damage on my truck, if it's going to cost a lot, then I'll just put it all through insurance. If they can replace/repair the damage for $3-$4k all in, then I'll probably just pay out of pocket.

#11 ·
Did you check ebay for a mirror? I had a car sideswiped when it was parked on the street one time. Took out the whole side, I don't think I had even made the first payment on it yet. Turned out to be some really old man who didn't even know he did it. Only reason they found him is because he took out a traffic light a couple blocks down the street, and his car had my green paint down the side of it.

#12 ·
That's a piss off!!
**** happens - but own up to your screw ups is my belief...
Can't stand that low life hit and run crap...

#15 · (Edited)
Yeah, with a used bumper that may or may not be an OEM piece or OEM quality. As well, they seem reluctant to pay the labor to uninstall and reinstall my aftermarket lightbars so they want to do a "spot touch up" and blend the paint rather than giving me a new bumper. They are also going to fix the plastic fender flare with a gouge in it rather than putting a new one on. Have a quote for over $4k for all that stuff mentioned above.

I found a used OEM mirror in very good shape that's power fold, telescoping and heated for $700. Also found some Bushwacker fender flares for $400 (not sure if they're for an '09 so I'm waiting to hear back from the seller). There also seems to be a couple aftermarket bumpers (Iron Cross) in the $1200-$1800 range so I might just repair/replace everything myself.

#16 ·
you can check Tasca parts they have ford OEM parts for almost 1/2....you could probably buy a $400 mirror and put your motors and stuff in it .... **** happens .. : )

#17 ·
I talked to my insurance company this morning and with a $1000 deductible it seems to just make sense to put it through insurance since a new mirror is over $2000 and that doesn't even take into account the damage on the fender/fender flare and bumper. Going to see the appraiser in 30 minutes. I asked the insurance company about a diminished value claim and she couldn't answer my question. Told me to ask the appraiser about that. Good news is that I get a rental vehicle that's supposed to be the same calibre as my vehicle. Don't know of many places Enterprise or Budget that rent one tons let alone diesels. Let the fun begin...

#23 ·
I talked to my insurance company this morning and with a $1000 deductible it seems to just make sense to put it through insurance since a new mirror is over $2000 and that doesn't even take into account the damage on the fender/fender flare and bumper.

Have you thought about taking the money from the insurance company and using it to fix the truck using the parts you want? Some can do this, some cannot with their insurance company. As far as the bumper, they will just repaint it if its just a scuff; the new bumpers from Ford have to be painted anyways.

PM me your vin, and I'd be happy to help you out if interested. Our prices are pretty competitive. We send plenty to Canada with the even crazier price of parts compared to the retail in the US.

you can check Tasca parts they have ford OEM parts for almost 1/2....
And definitely always cheaper than what is on Tasca's site

#22 ·
The $2038 for the mirror was from the local dealership to provide to the insurance company. If I was paying out of pocket, the parts guy said he could help me out and chop about $300-$400 off that price. Either way, a new OEM mirror is going to cost more than my deductible. The cheapest used mirror I could find was $700 and 6 hours round trip away so it makes sense to put this through insurance. I still might just take the cash and do everything myself as my insurance company's preferred auto body shop is giving me the run around and sucks at communicating. They won't put in a Recon smoked mirror turn/marker light as it isn't OEM equipment. I told them nor are the aftermarket skins they use. They are OEM quality but not OEM parts. He shut up pretty quick...

#24 ·
Man i know what you mean I had my truck broken into Saturday night and my navigation Head unit stolen and some clothes that I bought that day but forgot to take out.not to mention the damage that was done to the dash board and the doors where the idiot tried to get in through The passenger side but couldn't then went to the Driver side IT SUCKS

#27 ·
Looks like insurance is trying to take the cheapest way out they can. Doesn't look like it's worth going through insurance after all. They're planning on using an aftermarket mirror costing $502.68 and the total quote for the mirror fender/fender flare repair, and bumper is only $2429.89. After my deductible, the repair would cost insurance $1429.89. By the time they settle with me, I'd get $1000 towards my upgrades. Doesn't seem worth it to me. I have a call into my broker about not wanting to use aftermarket parts but it doesn't seem like she'll change her mind or cares that I don't want aftermarket parts on my truck.

#29 ·
This is the way Canada is. There aren't very many insurance providers. Every independent company gets bought out by a large conglomerate. There are different brokers/companies but they represent/sell policies for the larger companies. There's a reason why insurance is so expensive here as there's pretty much a monopoly in place. I suppose this is the price we pay for "free healthcare."

#30 ·
Alberta,

I am a Risk Engineer for an insurance co. a few years ago my 06 got hit. The other party's insurance told me that they were going to use aftermarket parts and remanufactured wheels. After lengthy discussions, they told me that it wasn't up to me.

So I told them to go ahead and use aftermarket parts. Then I told them that after they were done I would refuse to pick up my truck and contact my attorney. I also told them that they would be facing a lawsuit if needed.

They bowed. I got brand new wheels (it helped that Ford has a service bulletin that states remanufactured wheels are NOT to be used on SD trucks) and I got all new parts.

I strongly recommend you do NOT back down. You have the right to have new parts. Period.

Keep us posted please.....and good luck !

#31 ·
I know the feeling but it wasn't as bad as yours. Someone hit my mirror and broke the plastic surrounding and put a nice scratch in my door, I was even parked up on the sidewalk a little bit. I just bought a mirror off eBay and put it on myself and had a car wash detail the scratch so its not as noticeable but it still made me sick to my stomach. You would think these people would see these huge trucks.

#32 ·
This is how useless my insurance company is. By the way, the aftermarket "grey" signal light I have is the oh so common Recon smoked LED mirror marker/turn signal light. If there's one thing I hate, it's depending on people that can't perform. Now you all have a glimpse into what I'm dealing with, IDIOTS! Here is the agent's email. Spelling and grammatical errors included...

Unfortunately i cant make any outgoing calls as i am on a que right now. As i advised i would get in contact with you once i speak to Horton Auto body. I did speak to George from Horton. He did advised the mirror comes with a turn signal that are built in and they are usually yellow or amber. Witch you put aftermarket ones that are grey in color. He advised there is only the one that is broken and they come in a set of 2. He advised the biggest problem with that is its a special order and they dont get into that as the chances to get the same ones you have are slim as they always change. He did tell me that he did look into it and checked with Keith Stone about the mirror and said they can get it to him and they can hit it full load like what you have. That being said insurance will only cover what you have on your policy and with the parts we use for approval through our image desk. In the end it is up to them to do the approval and body shop will go off what they have approved. As i advised you when i spoke to you May 6 you do not have that endorsement on your policy. I understand that you advised it doesnt make sense as its lessor in value than the one you put. The estimate the body shop provided to us does go through our image desk and whatever they have approved. Is what the bodyshop will use. One thing he did mention was that you wanted bumper painted and to have spray liner put on and get credited for. They do not do that there and it would be up to you to get that done. If you have anymore questions or concerns. Dont hesitate to contact me. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.