Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

engine tap with video

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  overboostin 
#1 ·
I've seemed to develop an engine tap you can hear changes with revs. Truck has 109k on it, dpf and egr delete, new oil change. 5w40 rotella t6 every 5k and fuel filters every 10k. What do you guys think, rocker arms or something else?

See less See more
#3 ·
Could be a number of things... Any metal on the drain plug or in the filter? Can you get a vid from right above the motor?? 2 things come to mind are rockers or lifter problem. Does it sound more like an injector tick or a metal on metal like a lifter starting to go out?

#4 ·
This^^^

Video of the motor would help. Is it popping from the air cleaner/intake?

#5 ·
No metal on drain plug. I have about 200 miles on the oil change. The truck runs fine and temps are right where they should be. No popping from the intake like the typical rocker arm symptoms. Noise seems to be isolated to the right side of the engine mainly, here's a better video at operating temp:

#6 ·
It sure sounds like metal on metal in the video. Is that what you are hearing?

#7 ·
Yeah it's somewhat hard for me to tell. I did an oil change with 15w40 motorcraft about 870 miles ago and it made the noise a lot louder. I could even hear it out the exhaust, sounded like an exhaust leak a bit. Changed the oil, no metal on the drain plug, put my usual 5w40 t6 back in and now we're here about 200 miles in on the change.

#8 ·
So it was louder than that before you changed back to the 5W-40? I think I would start by pulling the passenger valve cover.

#9 ·
Could be a rocker arm, lifter, or a loss in compression. You need to get it into a shop and get an ids hooked up to it...

#12 ·
That's good news :thumb:

I would have them replace the lower radiator hose too while they're in there if it doesn't have the updated hoses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.