Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 upgrades

912 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  sfr2 
#1 ·
I have installed an edge programmer and exhaust on my truck. Now it's wanting to smoke all the time. Is this normal?

#2 ·
Is your tuner delete capable (I am guessing by exhaust you mean straight pipe). If not we are going to need more info... White smoke, black smoke, or blue smoke? What tunes are you running, how long has it been tuned?

#5 · (Edited)
A lot of the times when you buy a tuner and you use the box tunes, (i.e. the tunes that come stock on the tuner) they are not the best or the most efficient tunes for your truck in multiple facets. What you will probably have to do is get a custom set of tunes from someplace like Innovative, River City, or Gearhead. Those would be the 3 I would recommend starting with Gearhead as my number 1 suggestion. I have never used an EDGE product, not that they are bad, I just put my faith in something a little more reputable and truck specific like SCT, H&S, or Spartan.

And did you delete the DPF? I know you said that it is straight piped but did you delete it via your tuner as well?

#6 ·
I bought the truck with everything already done to it. Yes I do think it's delete capable. I also thought if I put a cold air intake on it that would help out the smoke. Just seems like it's not burning all the fuel dumping to it. Don't get me wrong it's not flooding but I don't think it should smoke all the time. I will get in touch with gearhead also

#8 ·
If you are having excess black smoke then you have an air issue...

If you were going into regen you would see white/light grey smoke.

First thing is first check your oil, I think you may have a turbo issue. Next thing you need to check is your ebp sensor and tube. If it is clogged you can get underboost/overboost problems... Ask me how I know, I went through an overboost issue that cause some issues over the winter.

After that check for ANY exhaust leaks. They are insanely hard to nail down with the 6.4 because of how tight things are. You need to check the exhaust manis, CAC boots, and up pipes. If the exhaust isn't getting to the turbo to spool it then you will see what you are getting right now. Start with that and get back to us.

#9 · (Edited)
So here's a list of what could potentially be the issue or areas where to begin your search. CrazyS0B's analysis is quite viable as well as it may be a hard mechanical issue such as the manifolds, or the turbo and such. I had an issue which was very similar happen to my truck and it ended up being an issue with the tunes that I had in my truck. They were boxed tunes that were screwing up my timing and such. But below will be a list of possible faults, sorry I can't be more precise:

Incorrect timing
Dirty or worn injectors
Injectors sticking open too long (Common Rail Diesel type)
Over-fuelling
Faulty turbocharger (ie not enough air to match the fuel)
Incorrect valve clearance
Incorrect air/fuel ratio
Low cylinder compression (eg sticking piston rings or worn components)
Dirty air cleaner
Restricted induction system (eg system too small or kinked inlet piping)
Carboned up intake manifolds (esp Common Rail Diesels)
Other engine tune factors, (i.e. box tunes, mass produced not vehicle specific)
Poor quality fuel
Excessive carbon build up in combustion and exhaust spaces
Cool operating temperatures

The ones in bold are the areas which I feel would be most likely the culprit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.