Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

lighting help

704 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  The_JRuss 
#1 ·
So I'm wanting a lightbar for the truck. Is there a manufacturer that makes these in USA or are they all assembled here?

Bumper is a warn 74777. Center bar can be 12-14" then I was going to do a cube on either side. I want to hook these to my upfitters. Everyone and there dog are selling Cree lights, just wondering which to go with.

I saw rough country has branded some also. 3yr warranty which I'm sure is a joke,but it's something.

I know nothing about wiring, so the easiest the better

#2 ·
Upfitters poke put the firewall near steering column.. that is the hot wire.. for ground, ground to the frame.. easy... Google for which upfitter is which color, but realize one is 25a, two is 15a, three and four are 10a.. LED's don't draw much power, so you're good with either three or four.

Cree is the maker of the LED itself.. there aren't that many LED makers, bit a metric ton of people who use Cree to build their bars. I wanna tell you there are only three major LED makers on the planet. Good investment prospect? I think so..

The better makers get the better LED's to work with.. more uniform temperatures, ect... They're like computer processors in that one off the line right behind another is inferior and clocked at less wattage, just to be followed by a better or worse one. The material to make them doesn't vary, but the quality of the build does- allowing more power to be pumped at them.

I researched this a long time, and finally decided I could buy five or six replacement LED bars for the cost of one rigid or other leading name brand, and figure to do just that when my cheap Amazon lights join Hoffa and Bigfoot. Your call though.

#3 ·
There is not one company that makes LED's in the states. 99% are shipped in from China. probably 1% of companies assemble or make the housings here. Im not sure if it has something to do with the process, EPA, or something. I mean you would think at least a couple shops would but expect the price to be much higher if there was a US made LED. So thats why I think its more than just cheap labor.

I carry Rigid, RaceSport, and LifetimeLED. Between the three, obviously Lifetime has the better warranty. Rigid will give you the best beam patterns and brightness, but they are pricey. RaceSport has a huge selection and I would say is pretty much the same as Lifetime products that are a bit less money.

My pricing is the exact same as everyone with the other Rigid and Lifetime dealers. And my pricing with RaceSport is significantly less than direct off their site. So if you find something in particular you like, shoot me a part number or link and I can get you a price.

many of the cheap Amazon lights will cause radio interference if you run power direct to cab switches as opposed to relays like a starter.

#6 ·
I replaced my factory fogs with Rigid D2 Hyperspots and could not be happier. The build quality is the best available in my opinion. These things will outlast the truck.
And the light output is absurd. Easily shines 100 yards down the road.
I wired them directly to the factory fog light wiring. They operate off my headlight switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.