Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

need some help 08 mirror light swap to smoked led

3K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  bigtuna401 
#1 ·
I have a set of 08 mirrors with clear marker lights on my 2000 f-250. I ordered a set of smoked led marker lights. When I plug up the new ones they will not work. if I plug one wire from the new marker light up and leave a bulb in the other socket the new light will work. If you unplug the factory bulb they will not work any suggestions? It does the same thing on both sides.

#3 ·
I have tried everything and plugged them in every way possible. I have 2 sets of them now and they both do the same thing.

#5 ·
Mine are like that 2 wires and the plug plugs into the socket.

#7 ·
Yes the new lights are led and the old bulbs are the factory ones. I thought these were just plug and play.

#10 ·
I have 2 sets of smoked led lights. They both do the same thing when you plug them up. The regular bulbs work fine. It's just that the led's on the smoked lenses don't work unless you have a regular bulb in one socket and plug one on the leds in the other socket. How can I fix this and is it a easy fix?

#11 ·
I have regular bulbs in the mirrors now.i bought a set of recon smoked LEDs to replace the clear markers I have tried 2 different sets of smoked lights and they both do the same thing

#12 · (Edited)
anyone know How I can fix this?

#17 ·
I didn't ignore resistor suggestion trying to find out where and how to install resistor can someone explain how?

#15 ·
How and where would I put a resistor?

#16 ·
I have a newly purchased 08 that has these Recon mirror lights. The parking lights work, however neither of the turn signals work. When I swap the wires, the fault stays with the wire. Is there a separate fuse for the mirror turn signals and where would it be located?

#19 ·
#21 ·
So does that wire in from bulb to bulb on the mirror side or the new led light side

#25 ·
Let me know if that works Thanks

#29 ·
Didn't a chance this weekend but I did start thinking about this install. One end of the resistor splices into the positive side of the LED wire coming in. The other end of the resistor is supposed to be connected to chassis ground. I can't do this in the side mirror as there is no chassis ground. Where can I splice into the positive turn signal wire outside of the side mirror and close to chassis ground? Do the turn signal wires go thru the engine bay anywhere?

#30 ·
I installed a set of those, along with my project of changing all bulbs to LED, and all factory lenses, 60" LED signal light bar etc. Total swap. 2008 F350

I purchased everything from Recon and it installed with ease.

The smoked mirror lenses were a bit of a pain, as I had to make sure the wire contacted the plug correctly (plus it took me a few minutes to figure how to get them out). I also dialectic greased every connection, and secured them with heat shrink to prevent disconnection. BUT they plugged right in no need for resistors. The lenses themselves were also sealed with no way to access the LED in the lens.

I thought most of the new LED stuff had built in resistors to negate the need to add them during installation.

I can send the model of the set I bought if you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.