Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How to determine if used F250 6.4L has been EGR deleted?

17K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Twiesel 
#1 ·
Just purchased my first truck & diesel engine: a used 2009 F250 SD 6.4L. last weekend. :woot:

So far I am in love with it. However, I have become a little skittish after reading about a number of "challenges" the regen process creates.

Given that, when I changed the oil I wanted to see how many quarts of fluid I would drain. I got 15 quarts. So I assume the regen process was not causing oil dilution, at least for life of the oil that I drained.

So I decided to double check the drained oil to see what an oil analysis would indicate.The results indicated zero oil dilution, which made sense coupled with me draining only 15 qts.

After scouring the web I discovered that a regeneration "delete" exists. The delete, as you likely are all too familiar with, but I am just learning about, would lead to zero oil dilution.

So my question: Is there a way to physically examine the engine, et al, to determine if an EGR delete was performed by the previous owner?

#2 ·
If you have a CAT and DPF (diesel particle filter) it is most likely you are still using your EGR.

#4 ·
If the dpf is deleted, look on the motor (I don't have a pic handy) but the coolers stick out like a sore thumb... Seroiusly, you can't miss them lol.

#5 ·
Thanks. I do see them but I was wondering if they could be uninstalled and plates put in and reinstalled. Where I live I believe the emissions folk check under the hood at inspection time for EGR on emissions.

What got me wondering if the last owner made any mods to the emissions hardware was because I did not have any oil diluted with fuel when I changed it out....maybe I just got lucky.:dunno:

#6 ·
Just because you didn't have oil growth doesn't mean that there isn't some oil dilution with fuel. My oil level stays the same on the dip stick (I know this isn't an exact measurement) and the oil doesn't smell like diesel but my Blackstone Laboratories oil analysis comes back positive for around 2.5% dilution prior to being deleted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.