Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Filter Housing

970 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  04hdfatboy 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to the Powerstroke realm after recently purchasing a 08 6.4l from my cousin. Loving the truck so far as I have seen the light after selling my first truck, a 05 Duramax, to purchase this one. At any rate, I am still trying to get used to the dual fuel filters. So, I recently purchased and got a Fass 150 installed. After which, I just replaced the fuel filter in the engine bay and I noticed there is sludge in the fuel filter housing. How can I go about safely cleaning this? Thanks for any and all input!

#3 ·
You don't have any choice but to clean it up.. be careful.. in another job I once cut a vacuum attachment, the long slender kind, down to a pencil diameter end and taped it up tight.. that may help you in this application, but, you don't want to dislodge the valve systems and screens. So.. be careful..

Hopefully the filter kept the sludge out of the engine. If it's running, it sounds like it did. I'd guess what you're seeing is fallen paraffin from cold gelling fuel that doesn't remix when the gel drops out.

#4 ·
I always wipe mine out with shop towels.... Anything that won't leave lint. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it is lint free.

Reactions: BigBlack35
#5 ·
Alright, thanks for the info gentlemen. Makes sense to have to wipe it, but again, I'd rather play it safe than sorry. If after soaking up the fuel that's below the line - cycling the ignition key on for 30 seconds and off 6 times will prime/fill it back up, right?

#6 ·
Yep, I would let the bowl fill up about 2/3s the way up and put the filter in. Then cycle the key 6-8 times and start her. I find the upper filter is the hardest to get the air out...

#7 ·
As stated above sometimes it can be a pain to get the air out but be patient. With the fass system it will be much easier. Just keep cycling the key and let the pump run until you don't hear it anymore and then repeat. The nice thing is that the fass will take the air out of the fuel. With my airdog I just cycle the pump a few times and it fires right up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.