Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Looking for input on interior water leak

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  6literdiesel 
#1 ·
I've searched through the site, using a combination of keywords, in an attempt to find someone who has had a similar problem but I've come up empty handed. I have water getting into my cab somehow. It doesn't happen every time it rains, but when it does get in I find it because I start driving and water begins to dump out of my map lights. It's typically enough water to fill about 1/4 of a glass. It only happens when it rains for several hours and the truck has to be parked with the front end going up a hill. When I'm in town I park my work truck behind my personal truck so I can get to my truck without moving everything out of the driveway, this is what causes my truck to be pointed "up". It has never leaked on when parked on level ground. I read a thread mid last year about running weed eater wire through the drain tubes on my sunroof so I tried that, but I also got rid of my work truck around the same time and it hasn't leaked since. I picked up another work truck about a month ago and when I jumped into my truck this past Monday morning it began pouring water from the lights again. Any ideas?

*The info in my sig is wrong. My current truck is a 2008 F-350, CCLB, FX4*

#2 ·
the last sunroof vehicle I had was a VW, but it would sometimes have damp spots at the corners of the headliner. On those the drain tubes aren't open on the bottom ends. I would actually have to pinch them open to release water and some debris/sediment would come out too. Maybe it's a similar setup??
My truck doesn't have a sunroof so haven't run in to this issue.

#3 ·
I had similar issue about 2 years ago with water leaking into my cab.. it was always when it would rain really hard. If it just rained a little bit, i never noticed it..

So i'm @ the beach one year, and it poured almost the whole week.. didn't have to go anywhere so the truck sat.. finally on the 2nd to last day it cleared up and we hop in the truck to go down to the beach, and i find my back seat completely soaking wet! i couldn't figure it out from then on what the problem was. happened a few more times over the summer.. then finally one day my 3rd brake light went out.. so i get the screw driver out and low and behold.... the screws were loose on the 3rd brake light.

Tightened it up when i put it back together, problem solved. Hope its something simple like this for you.. but i would check the screws in your third brake light. its worth a look..

#5 ·
I'll check the screws on the third brake light, but given the angle of the truck when it leaks (front end running up hill) and the location the water is presenting itself (the map lights between the driver and passenger's seats) I believe the leak is somewhere in the front of the vehicle. I thought it was the sunroof the first couple of times, but when I realized it was only when the truck points up that didn't add up in my mind given the light sits forward of the sunroof. I suppose it could be the windshield, but I feel like I would see water dripping down the inside of the windshield as well.

#6 ·
Any other ideas?

#7 ·
I had a mustang that did the exact same thing. Parked facing downhill...no problem. Facing uphill...as soon as I moved it, it was just like someone dumping a cup of water on me. The stang had a drain port in each corner of the sunroof channel. The rear drains were stopped up. During a rain, the water would stand in the channel, but when the level got high enough the water would drain out the front ports unless it was a heavy, fast rain. Then the interior would be wet. After the rain when the car moved, the standing water would flow to the front and overwhelm the front drains, which caused the excess to spill into the car. The fix was to take a rubber-tipped blow gun, to get a seal, put the tip into the drain port, and blow out the lines.

#8 ·
I haven't tried to clean the rear ports as be read I would have to remove the glass to get my hands in there. I have an air compressor with a blow gun attachment, I think I could get that back in there. I'll give that a shot today.

#9 ·
I cleaned the rear ports today. I dropped the headliner, removed all four drain tubes (one by one) and proceeded to blow air through them with the compressor, poor water down them, fish weed eater wire through them, then poured water into them again and used my mouth to blow all the water out with force. When I felt satisfied with all of that I parked my truck under our basketball goal, fastened my garden hose to the rim and turned it on so that the water would flow directly onto the sunroof and down the windshield. I left it running like that for about 30 minutes while I sat inside the cab looking for leaks. I never saw any water, so I put it back together and will wait until the next rain to see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.