Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

pulling back headliner

777 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  drewactual 
#1 ·
How is it done without busting up the adhesive?

I'm installing a top rack, with four feet attaching to the cab.. I'd love to NOT poke a hole through my rooftop, but I don't think there is any other way, and because there ain't no rain gutters.

I'd like to pull the liner and backing back far enough to get a big ol washer or small bar in there so the rack isn't relying on the threads of self tapping screws alone to hold it firmly. I plan on using grade eight hardware and nylon lockers as fasteners..

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Just start pulling your a,b, and c pillar trim, visors, overhead compartments, hooks and lights. Then the whole thing comes down.

I personally wouldn't drill holes in my roof. I'm 95% sure you can use a roof rack system like Thule or Yakima.

Reactions: drewactual
#4 ·
Nice... Thanks, gents.

I wish I could get out of it, but this ain't no silly toy like a Thule or Yakima.. this one is a monster that'll hold 1200#, which is hella greater than the roof ever should.. I've gotta get it in the pillars with stout hardware.. The back one, over the camper shell is mucho easier, except for bending tubing as a support between the rails and the racks feet.. it will actually hold some decent weight.

I ain't happy about drilling that thing... Believe me.

#6 ·
Will comply.

I plan on using ice barrier under the feet, the kind you use on a roof that is sticky as all hell on one side and pure rubber throughout, and that'll barrier most the water... the bolts will all be dipped in 3M 4200 along with the backing/washer inside, which should form a nice tight barrier no water will ever get past... Should.. :)

#7 ·
What are you plan on carrying? 1200 lbs is a lot. Especially that high up.

#8 ·
Not so much carrying, as holding. Plan on having a platform for off the ground tent. Also, can carry 11' Jon boat, inverted, of course.. Will put removable bunk rollers on rear of rack that will make it easy to load and unload.. tank and engine in the bed under the topper, protected from thieves along with the rest of my gear.

Huntin the swamp lands, man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.