Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2009 F250 fifth wheel towing

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  RUFFSTUFF 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum, thanks for keeping these things alive! I have a 2009 F250 4x2 short bed with a 6.4 power stroke. The truck is all stock. My wife and I are looking at a new fifth wheel camper that weighs 11k lbs. the brochure pin weight is 2488 lbs. I see that the F250 can tow up to 15.8k lbs. with a fifth wheel configuration. My concern is the GVW. The pin weight being at 2488lbs plus wife and kids will put us over the max GVW. I just weighed my truck with the family in it and it came in at 8000lbs. GVW will be over max by about 700lbs. We are mostly just weekend campers only towing about 60 miles with one or two longer trips per year. Should I be concerned? If so, will air bags solve my problem or should I move on and find a lighter fifth wheel? Thanks for any input!

#2 ·
I think it would be ok... just not Ideal.

The main thing with towing heavy is stopping power. If you're comfortable stopping the load then you should be alright.

#3 ·
You will be squatting. My fifth wheel is 1800 pounds and makes my F250 squat pretty good despite F350 blocks and air bags. Like was mentioned, it's not ideal and really puts you over the manufacturers recommendations. While you can, it might be wiser to consider getting a bit more truck if you are sold on this trailer OR look for a lighter trailer. Best of luck and keep us posted. :thumb:

Reactions: Fryemw
#5 ·
Fight the squatting

I leveled my 350 years ago and when I put 2400# it even squatted not to my liking. I tried Firestone Work Right. Just add disc until you have 1/2 before the jounce stop. After applying the weight no more squatting. beat Air Bags that can blow and they have, at least on me.

8615, Work-Rite, Suspension Load Leveling Kit - TruckSpring.com

Cheers

2010 F-350 lariat CC LWB 3.55 11300 GVWR KEM 210 Tune

#8 ·
No, not at all. The 6.4 F450 is an excellent platform for towing. Just remember to maintain it well and it will treat you well.

#9 ·
I have a 43-foot toy hauler and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags... you can see how I roll...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.