Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Calipers

785 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  drewactual 
#1 ·
Well I had my driver side front caliper lock up today driving home from work. It also started the violent shake when trying to slow down. Have 162,000 miles on it with original front end except for the idler arm and track bar which was replaced about 70,000 miles ago. Have a feeling the calipers and whole front end will need replacing.

#2 ·
I don't know about the whole front end. I replaced the brakes at 188xxx and at the time, I replaced the steering stabilizer just because it was original. No other issues. I did have a rear caliper that the pistons crumbled but that was it. Now at 204xxx my sway bar end links are showing wear so im replacing them along with a helwig sway bar. Well, shocks to of course.

#3 ·
Well, so far the driver side ball joints broke when caliper locked up they are thinking. The power steering internal gear broke as well. Needs calipers, rotors and brakes of course. I did the shocks and front brakes early last year. Will know more tomorrow as they are just starting to get into it.

#6 ·
Mine almost locked up once. I was moving at about 50mph and noticed egts were nearing 800*, when the average is around 500* for me... Also had a hard pull left on the stearing... Pulled over and shot it with an IR temp gun, and it was freakin hot while others were relatively cool.

Swapped calipers the next day..

These things are known to lock up, and without good cause in my opinion... All you can do is keep good brake grease on the pins and make sure they're aligned and freely floating. But if one locks or tries to lock? The chances of it happening again are really high, and brakes being something not to play around with, just swap em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.