Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Buying a 6.4

968 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CrazyS0b 
#1 ·
So I'm new to Diesels and I'm looking at the 6.4L, and obviously have heard of the 6.0L issues so it makes me cautious of powerstrokes. I was wondering what some pros and cons of the 6.4 are and any recommendations of what I should look for. Thanks!

#2 ·
What do you need a diesel for? How much research have you done on the 6.4?

I am going to lay it out there for you, if you think the 6.0 is scary then you should be terrified of the 6.4. It doesn't have as many little things that will go wrong, but when something does break on a 6.4 it takes the motor with it 9 time out of 10....

That being said, the 6.4 has great potential if you have the time and money to put into it. But money is the key word... They very difficult to work on and will not tolerate abuse. If you don't keep up on oil changes and fuel filter changes you will be throwing motors at it in no time. If you don't delete you will be doing oil changes every 2500 miles due to oil dilution.

My 6.4 is my first diesel and I will tell you straight up I love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything except a 2015 cummins or scorpion. And even then it would be hard to part with. The 6.4 has an amazing ability to make power with a simple delete pipe and tuning. But that ability to build power is what ends up killing them in the end because it is very hard to keep your foot out of it. If you buy one you better have plans to get in there and rebuild the motor correctly and love the truck form start to finish.

On the other hand, a 6.0 may have a lot of little issues but for the most part unless you just ignore problems all together they don't usually ruin the motor. 90% of the issues can be fixed in your garage or driveway with a little time, effort, and research. I would recommend a 6.0 before a 6.4 for a first time owner. In fact, if you don't understand the workings of a 6.4, then stay away. Spend a little extra and nab yourself a 6.7 or find a good used bulletproofed 6.0 and never look back.

#6 ·
If you're going to delete the truck and treat it sensibly you will love it. If you're going to neglect it and beat the piss out of it then I'd pass.

Understand the 6.4 short comings and then decide if you want it. They are easily overcome with a tuner and delete pipe and common sense

#8 ·
It isn't that simple in the long run. Like any truck something is going to break eventually. Unlike a 6.0 or 7.3 something will break, then you get it fixed and continue on with life.

When a 6.4 breaks, it isn't usually a simple fix. The cab almost always has to come off and many times it ends up being several thousand dollars to fix it. If you can fix it at all. Many times it takes the motor with it. Yes, a 6.4 will last a very long time if taken care of. But most get traded in because something is starting to go wrong, or it has been a problem child. That is when you get into problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.