Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Gutting the factory DPF

12K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  CrazyS0b 
#1 ·
I drive my 2008 around town a lot and the regens are driving me crazy. I don't have time to drive 20 miles just to do a regen...

I'm in California where we now have smog checks on Diesel vehicles too. It's just a visual inspection however so I'd like to gut a spare factory DPF. Since my only goal is to stop the regens, I'd just leave the DOC alone. The less soot on the tailpipe and the closer it looks and sounds to stock the better.

Does anyone see an issue with just gutting the DPF and getting the proper tuner?

Thanks!

#2 ·
If you leave the cat and muffler it will only be slightly louder. You will need a tuner to stop the regen as well fyi. I wouldn't worry about noise though. These things aren't loud deleted. Standing infront of my truck it is barely louder than it was stock. However if you stand by the tail pipe you will know there is nothing anywhere in that exhaust. Keep in mind I have a 5" straight pipe though.

#3 ·
There are threads hear where gutting was done to save cost. Your assumption is that the testing would not change, it will be big $$ for a new part if the testing does change and you truck does not pass.

There is a thread on a delete only tuner same company has delete with custom tune basically the cost is about $400. I use it and many others do too. Right now this tuner is the lowest cost delete.

#5 ·
Gutting a used DPF is a decent way to go. I have a few customers with commercial plates that wanted to go the gut route just in case DOT or the green police wanted to take a look. The DPF-R or DPF-R+ is a decent way to go. Will help mileage a little bit. There are also other ways to program, but they do get more expensive.

#6 ·
It is infinitely better than leaving it stock. But if you want a good long term solution get a tuner that can handle custom tunes or is actually supported. SCT and H&S are great for their ability to load custom tunes, but if you aren't going with bigger injectors or turbos then Spartan is easily one of the best tuners out there. Not only for its ability to tune, but the Dashdaq is an amazing monitor. A lot of people buy them just for the monitoring ability alone...

#7 ·
I'm actually not interested in making more power or even better mileage. My main issue is city driving and constantly interrupted regens. I don't like my truck telling me I have to drive 30 miles when I don't have anywhere I need to go. I also don't like all the fuel that ends up in my crankcase.

Just found a used DPF for sale. I take it the F250 and the F350 use the same one?

Thanks!

#8 ·
It isn't actually about power when deleting these trucks (Don't get me wrong, it will be a whole new truck once you do it...) it is about reliability. The other nice thing about custom tunes is they tend to produce less smoke. I have heard some people tell me that the dpf-r can be a bit "dirtier" than most other tuners.

The whole idea is to not produce any smoke if you are trying to be stealthy... Custom tunes are also a little better for the truck because they control timing, fueling, and boost so much better than canned tunes on pretty much any tuner except for Spartan.

#10 ·
Either way 6.4's don't smoke much when compared to other diesels. But when trying to look stock you want to make it as minimal as possible.

#11 ·
Yeah and that's good! Stock looking is the key.

Does anyone know if the DPF/DOC is different on some trucks (like a shortbed extra cab)? The one this guy has for sale looks slightly different near the DOC. He says there is a hanger there right by the flange but on my truck and every picture I've seen online the hanger is further forward.

All I care about is the DPF but I don't want to buy something I can't use. I won't be picking it up in person... a friend is going to get it for me because it's out of town.

Thanks!

#12 ·
Yeah and that's good! Stock looking is the key.

Does anyone know if the DPF/DOC is different on some trucks (like a shortbed extra cab)? The one this guy has for sale looks slightly different near the DOC. He says there is a hanger there right by the flange but on my truck and every picture I've seen online the hanger is further forward.

All I care about is the DPF but I don't want to buy something I can't use. I won't be picking it up in person... a friend is going to get it for me because it's out of town.

Thanks!

#13 ·
As far as I am aware they are all the same. The only difference is the distance between the dpf and the muffler.

#15 ·
Out of a military truck? You mean a government vehicle? Are we sure its for an f250/350?

#17 ·
I would take a pic and compare it to mine if I were you. Should be pretty obvious if a hanger is in the wrong place.

#19 ·
Do it, plz post pictures of the process. I know of a lot of people that want to do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.