Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is it still easy to delete a 6.4?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Rocweiller 
#1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a 6.4
I'm thinking about trying it only if it's gonna be OK to delete the DPF. Sounds like people aren't writing tunes that will bump the power and de-activate the regens anymore.
What's the skinny?

#2 ·
You can still get DPF delete tuners. (I just pulled the trigget on a Spartan Monday).

It's still illegal to do it though. So I guess it depends on your definition of "OK" to delete the DPF.

Reactions: casper4203
#3 ·
Does your county require emissions testing for inspection? Or just the safety inspection? If just the safety inspection then go ahead and delete, but I'd keep your deleted parts for the future for when and if emission testing is required for diesels in your area or if you decide to sell the truck

#4 ·
Easy? Yes... Thirty to forty minutes of effort and minimal tools... That includes removing oe exhaust and installing aftermarket, and loading up a tune.. not in that order. :)

Cheap? No. Not cheap at all.. The exhaust can be had for a couple benjiis; the tuner ain't gonna be cheap... But think of it like this: how much does it cost to add twice the torque and a third more ponies to other platforms while at the same precise time and though the same mods adding life and security (if it's done right and you put helium in your right boot) to the engine? If you think of it like that, it's actually pretty cheap, too.

#5 ·
:agree: I spent $2500 to get my obs to perform like my 6.4 does stock (well, mostly) and I just spent the same amount on my 6.4 for a; Spartan, no limit, DPF delete Pipe, and EGR delete. The only thing is now I should be able to make twice the power my 7.3 ever did.:woot:

#8 ·
If I may answer for him:

Yup... $200~$400 for pipes... $1500~$1800 for monitoring programmer. $50~$300 for EGR.

You can 'get by' with delete section pipe only for $150 or so, and an SCT tuner for $600 or so, and inexpensive egr full delete for $100 or block plates for $50...

There are folks here that can better guide you, and vendors that will sell you a package deal... Hopefully they'll chime in soon.. that's about the make of it though.

Be advised: nowhere I've ever tinkered with gives the benefits the 6.4 does with these mods.. The simple mods listed (w/exception of egr) can boost you 250+ ponies, 300#TQ, and give slight bump in mileage.. The truck will run cleaner, cooler, and MUCHO longer. Ain't no engine platform I've ever encountered that ponies can be released so easily, and, while improving longevity and economy at same time.

#10 ·
I got my hole set up from Rudys for $1300. Exhaust and SCT livewire. If I had to do it again Id by it through Vivian at quicktricks. Nothing against rudys although I did have an issue with the tuner they sent me. I love Vivians tunes though and it would be a nice perk to get free tunes from her for as long as you keep the tuner. With exhaust and egr and tuner you should be looking at less than 2k if you get a Livewire

#12 ·
My costs:
XRT Pro Race w/TPMS block $750
DP back pipe $185
Edge Insight CTS $325
FloPro EGR delete $200

FloPro is the only new part.

Gonna try the stock intake since I'm not gonna let them ponies run. Just want the emissions crap off. I tow 5-7K ~100~ miles daily for work. If I pop the minder then add another $300 for an intake.

So that's $1410 without the intake. WTF.....it's only money, right?

#13 ·
FloPro 5" dp back - 290
SCT X4 - 700
Gearhead tunes and offroad unlock - 270
Egr delete - 100-300 depending on what you want
Edge Insight CTS - 400

Somewhere in the mark of 2 grand... But knowing your truck isn't being murdered daily by a can of death? - Priceless

Reactions: casper4203
#14 ·
I bought the spartan tuner at 1800 minus the air intake. Traded tailgate from my 6.0 for a a&cb from my buddy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.