Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Brake adjusting question.

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  drewactual 
#1 ·
I have replaced all my bakes, I got pads and cross drilled slotted rotors on all 4 corners. I also bought 4 reman calipers and all new rubber lines. My brakes till feel a bit too soft. Even my wife complains. I bled them a ton with a one man bleeder. (little hose to a little bottle) thy feel ok but not right,
First question, is the rod adjustable between the master cylinder and the hydra boost? It is hydra boost, right? I think so, don't remember. Can I adjust the little push rod going into back f master? Maybe it's a hair too short?
Thx any help appreciatedd

#2 ·
The brakes will not bleed because of the anti skid modulator. The modulator needs to cycle in order to get the trapped air behind the valves to get released.

Shops have the program to do this, I did not look for one I just followed what I found on the Internet. Which was to find a gravel road and do some power stops. Then bled the brakes.

#5 ·
I've read about that valve and the difficulties it resents while bleeding..... Then, I ignored it.

Here's the deal- if you bleed gravity at the caliper, poof- solid brakes.. if you use one of those little hand pump vacuum bottles at the caliper, poof- solid brakes... You just have to do it slow so large volumes of fluid don't go past triggering a response from that valve... So... You do it slow. Gravity is slow by nature... Hand vacuum/pumping, you ought not exceed -5psi at any given point.. leave cap off master cylinder while doing this, but keep it topped off as you work.

I used the hand vacuum pump thingy bought from AutoZone for $20 or so... My brakes are more solid than the day I bought the truck. If you've got a bubble high up there, it'll take a long time.. if you suspect that, then bleed brake closest to cylinder first and work your way back. Don't touch the pedal at all during this process or you'll just make matters worse.

Gravity bleed will take likely two or three hours.. Hand vacuum pump, half an hour. It'll happen, just take your time. ....... Actually, I flushed my entire system while bleeding, never allowing it to empty, in that half hour with the hand vacuum pump. Just topped with new, and kept vacuuming while keeping res topped with new... When the calipers each oozed crystal clear, I figured job was done.

#8 ·
you should call around some brake shops will do it cheaply and you can get 100% fluid swap if you have them do a flush

and it is kind of a pain doing brake bleeding solo so it may be worth it

also with the truck running apply the brake pedal kinda hard and hold for a few seconds then do that a few more times
just that nothing else

#11 ·
I hear ya about the good one.... I was more or less suspicious of that thing to begin with, and opted for the cheap plastic one... Now that I know how well it works, I'll be looking to get a metal one. The other option, of course, is to get the one that connects to all four calipers at the same time and uses the garden sprayer looking thing to bleed them... But honestly, I'm thinking that's too much vacuum too quickly.. that mity vac and -5psi and patience did the trick for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.