Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2008 6.4 opinions

954 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  SS90 
#1 ·
I've been searching high and low for a 6.4 truck and after looking at several here in Michigan, Ive been very dissappointed with what I've looked at and driven.

I found a 2008 XLT 4x4 ECSB out of state that looks pretty nice and has a laundry list of modifications, more then I would ever personally do to the truck if I modified it myself but a nice bonus in my opinion. The truck only has 6x,xxx miles on it, and has dual power leather seats no rust. Here is the details from his ad online

-It is an xlt truck but was factory ordered with full leather interior and dual power seats.
- It has an aftermarket touch screen radio with a full sound system sub woofers and all
- arp head studs, when these were installed the heads were machined true and had OEM replacement gaskets put back in.
- Aftermarket 58/72.4 mm tow power turbos from elite diesel along with 6.0 manifolds and custom built 6.0/6.4 up pipes and a tial adjustable blow off valve.
- egr delete
- dpf delete
- ccv delete
-H and S tuner with Gear-head tunes on it.
- 4" down pipe back exhaust with a 5" chrome tip
- S and B intake
- Air dog 150 Fuel system
-transmission was just rebuilt with full billet internals including the shafts and has a billet triple disc torque converter in it as well as a billet flex plate.
-suspension the rear of the truck has been lowered to make it sit level with the front, it has traction bars on the rear,
-full aftermarket 4 link front suspension.
- 18x10 Gear Alloy Nitros with Nitto Terra Grappler 325/60/18
-Spray in bedliner

What do you feel would be a fair price for this truck, having all these goodies installed and the low mileage? How much is too much. Blue book is only around 25k

#2 ·
Private seller or dealer? Do you have ALL of the records??? And how much do you know about the 6.4?

#3 ·
Private seller. He has the receipts for the engine parts, including turbos and the shop that did the work. The trans doesnt have paperwork but I called the shop to verify that it does indeed have all the trans work done to it.

I know about the 6.4's to a point, the problems associated with it but it seems most of that is addressed with the work that has been done to it. I know maintenance is crucial like changing fuel filters and oil changes needing to be done religiously

#4 ·
I will say from the outside it looks like a good truck. Without seeing it I couldn't tell you what I would be willing to pay for it. I don't want an ecsb... I need the full backseat and refuse to compromise. And I want to do my own build, I don't like the idea of buying someone else's problem. That being said, get it out for a good long drive and get it to a local diesel shop that deals with 6.4s a lot.

It sounds like it is built up good, and it has probably been taken care of. The question is why is he selling it? There is a lot of money in that truck, you need to know what is making him want to sell it. If it is a matter of getting a newer truck and building that... Then there you go. If he is doing it because he doesn't like the truck, then there is a red flag. You don't build a 6.4 that far and just rid yourself of it, it cost a lot of money to get it that far. I guarentee he has run it hard with all that work done to it.

#5 ·
The guy that has it hasnt had it for long, the work was done by the previous owner which the new guy states it was built by a guy that has alot of money and just had it built and im sure enjoyed it for a while then moved onto something else. The ecsb I like, as I dont have kids and the truck will not be my daily driver only used mainly to pull my enclosed trailer and play around with on the weekends. The new owner states that he is wanting to buy a house so he is selling to buy something cheaper. (he is a younger guy).

He told me I could come drive the truck for as long as I want to assure that I like it and want to purchase it.

In reality I dont really need a truck that is built as much as this one is, as I have a car that I can go fast in, I just like the fact that it has been bulletproofed to prevent any stupid issues that might arise. I dont want to worry about pulling my trailer a couple hundred miles at a time and having something go wrong.

He is wanting 27k for the truck which is more then blue book, but that doesnt figure in the amount of work done on it so I understand that I may need to pay a little more for it.

#7 ·
Understand one thing. He has built that truck for power. It is bulletproofed as far as a 6.4 is concerned. My best advice is get it to a diesel shop in your area that knows the 6.4 well.

It sounds like a great truck, it also sounds like a fast truck. If it is a younger kid then remember what we (I am 25) love about 6.4s. They are fast, and they build a lot of power really easily. They are VERY expensive to own, as well as very easy to destroy.

It honestly sounds like a good buy as long as everything checks out. Watch the deltas as you drive, listen to the motor, and get an opinion from someone that makes a living repairing these things. From what you say I would offer between 27 and 25k. That all depends on the state of the truck though and again what someone that makes a living off fixing the 6.4 tells me.

#8 ·
Well the only issue with having it professionally checked out is that I will be driving over 8 hrs to pick it up on a Saturday. If I go down to look at it I will be bringing the money and buying it on the spot if I like it. Hes sent me pictures of the receipts that he was given along with pictures of everything that I ask for. He was trying to get 29k for it so 27k is the lowest he will go. I've tried offering 25k and he has stated that he will keep it if he cant get atleast 27 for it.

I'm sure the truck wasnt built to be babied, as there would be no reason to do anything to it if thats what they wanted to do. I cant say that I'm not buying it to be a grandpa driver but at the same time I'm not planning on racing the truck.

The trucks I have been looking at in the 20k range seem to have 150k+ miles on them and DPF deletes with a tune, no other work. That IMO scares me more because they could be running them with a hot tune and no head studs. Who knows when/if the heads are starting to lift

#9 ·
When you are looking at diesels the 6.4 is in a league of its own. It will always cost money to own, I say this not trying to tell you not to buy. If you have the money to own one and love diesel trucks... There is nothing like a 6.4. If you just want a diesel to pull a trailer and don't want to worry it then get a bulletproofed 6.0 or a cummins. The 6.4 is like no other diesel that you will own. It will pull anything you hook to it, and with the right help it will out run just about anything on the street. But it isn't built to last... Before you buy that truck understand what you are buying. It is going to cost money no matter how you look at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.