Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

rad hose blew off

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mishimoto 
#1 ·
So I was driving home and lost heat. 2 min later I pull in my garage and shut the truck off. Right after I shut the truck off I hear coolant gushing. After peaking around the lower rad hose blew off. The one right by the passenger wheel well. Don't have time to look at it tonight but mine have the black ends. What are my options. I'm assuming the hose is junk. Can I buy just that hose from where it concepts to the rad to just under the fan shroud. Or do I have to buy upper and lower. Also can I get the updated white one or does it have to be black if I just get the lower hose.
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
All you can get from ford will be the updated ones. I recommend doing both while you are in there and have some coolant drained. The bigger question is why did the hose blow totally off... The black ends tend to leak, but there would need to be a good deal of pressure to blow off. Unless somehow the retainer slipped loose.... Somehow...

#3 ·
I tried pushing it back on and it won't snap into place. I'm thinking it's the clip.

#4 ·
I do have access to a spare one. I might just use it for the time being. Really hope there is not a bigger issue going on here

#5 ·
Depending on temps, it would be possible for water to freeze on the pipe and deform the clip. It is a VERY long shot, but crazier things have happened. You are studded so I wouldn't really worry too much about head gaskets causing excess pressure. It could just be a freak occurrence. I say just replace it and go on with life. Just keep an eye on it.

#6 ·
Consider yourself lucky...

Most of them drip drip drip and shut up, making you crazy trying to figure out where your coolant is going.... Yours happened catastrophically..

If it was anything other than those suspect hoses I'd be worried, but, the hose is the weakest link in this story.. and it's likely safe to blame it. Who knows, maybe ice set up on the little metal tang and as it leveraged off it was enough to unclip it.. but.. no matter.. blame the hose and fitting unless it's an updated hose, then think deeper.

#7 ·
Does anyone have a part number. once again it was the hose from the passenger side wheel well to under the fan shroud where it connects.
Thanks again

#9 ·
Awesome thanks for all the help. I'm in a pinch because it's Saturday but I found some shell elc coolant at the International truck dealership. It says right on the back specifically designed for maxx force engine. It is nitrate free tho. That's what I'm going with hope it works gotta get back on the road

#10 ·
All you can get from ford will be the updated ones. I recommend doing both while you are in there and have some coolant drained. The bigger question is why did the hose blow totally off... The black ends tend to leak, but there would need to be a good deal of pressure to blow off. Unless somehow the retainer slipped loose.... Somehow...
Sorry to hear about the failure of your stock hose! If you do intend to pick up factory hoses, be sure they are the updated units. Also, as noted by CrazyS0b, updating the upper and lower hose is a good idea. The stock hoses were updated with a double o-ring design which helps reduce the chance of air entering the cooling system during engine movement. If you are looking for an upgrade over the stock hoses, we are running a discounted pre-sale on our silicone/CNC-machined pieces which provide an additional improvement in reliability over the stock units.

Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Silicone Coolant Hose Kit, 2008–2010 PRE-SALE, by Mishimoto

Good luck getting your truck back on the road!

-John

#11 ·
Mishimoto rep I tried ordering your hose kit a week or two ago and the customer service rep said that because of the port authority/ worker strike you guys couldnt get the material to make them? So they werent able to ship yet that my order would be backordered till the problem was resolved. So I had to order oem. Your website said pre-sale then shipping would start Feb 12th.??? Got any updates on the problem?

#12 ·
Yes, unfortunately we've had some delays on our new product releases due to port issues, this includes our 6.4L hose kit. From what I understand, things are starting to move a bit quicker for us. We expect these kits to be ready for shipment soon, although we do not have a concrete date. Once we have a better idea of their progress I will certainly update our pre-sale thread.

Thanks
-John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.