Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

It haz begun!!

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  CrazyS0b 
#1 ·
I have started collecting parts for my rebuild next year. Obviously I am starting with a coolant filter, ccv, and some odds and ends. Crap I can do in my driveway :haha: . May even do a fuel system to add filtration and make sure the hpfp always has more fuel than it could ever need.

Beyond that I am going to start ordering all of the goodies that will make my truck a happy camper. However, I can't decide if I want to do o-ringed heads or not. The shop doing my build is telling me that it isn't something they usually do, they have a machine shop that will do it. However, there isn't much point when not trying to race the truck. On one hand I agree with that, however it would allow me a bit more leeway when it comes to tuning. I also don't quite know if I want to go all out with pistons. I am not racing, I don't even tow hard so it doesn't really make sense to spend 2 grand on pistons. But, 6.4s do have a habbit of eating through pistons...

I am already ordering 6.0 manis as well as the up pipes for them, lifters, push rods, studs, stuff... things, blah blah blah. Next thing to consider is the cam... I know I want one, I just can't decide what direction I want to go. No way in hell am I going something crazy like a stage 3, but I would like some extra life on my valve train.

Everything including new main and rod bearings so far I am bugeting 7-8 grand depending on what random crap I want to spend extra money on. I may do an AFE intercooler before I start the teardown just for turbo life and to keep egts down.

Talking about turbos, considering I am doing this to add as much life to my truck as possible... I don't want to go big on the turbos, but with 107k miles I would like to at the very least rebuild the turbos. But what are the thoughts everyone has on replacing the wheels and seals vs going a little bit bigger. Keep in mind I am not adding fuel to this. I am keeping stock injectors.

I am not going for power here, I couldn't care less if a durmax beats me light to light(hasn't happened yet though...). That isn't my point. I love 6.4's and I want to see how long I can keep mine running. I figure spend the money on my terms and enjoy being able to make a truck mine. Nothing makes me happier than going outside and starting my truck just to go for a nice long drive.

See less See more
#6 ·
Good to know, yah I am seriously considering pistons. I just don't dont know how far to go with them. I am thinking just a rebuild on the turbo seals just beacuse they are both in good shape. I can't justify spending 1800 on new turbos just to do it. But its hard to say no to a 71mm...

#8 ·
That is the current plan to atleat have them coated. I kinda want to go all out and have them de-lipped, coated, and valve reliefs milled into them.

#9 ·
Btw... Stoke did you ever get to the bottom of what caused the problems with you 6.4?

#10 ·
well the head gaskets blew on the 300 tune and the piston cracked because an injector hung open and the turbos exploded due to the unbalanced wheel then the head gaskets started leaking again and it started making a knocking noise on a startup after sitting for a while and I was just tired of pouring money into it.

#11 ·
and at the power level I was at I was on the verge of needing a built trans and the steering gear was bad again as well as the pump and I had put 5 radiators in it with no end to that in sight. I could have spent 10-15k on that truck and still needed to do stuff to it.

#12 ·
Ouch... Yah that truck didn't like you much. I am currently running a 100ish tune from gearhead and planning on keeping it around that.

Even after the build I won't be pushing any more power. But it seems the piston problem will follow the 6.4 no matter what. But the head gasket issue is the only reason I am on the fence about doing o-rings.

#14 ·
I can't see the value in doing o-ringed h eads if I am not running high hp.... Am I right in thinking this?

#16 ·
That is what I figured. Gonna spend the money on pistons instead.

#17 ·
I agree with doing pistons instead. Also you would be better off with a 71/72/73 atmo turbo over an intercooler. Cooler egt's and more power. Oh also think about adding a ported intake manifold.

#18 ·
Didn't even think about that, good idea.

#21 ·
Yep, motor has to come out because you have to pull the oil pan and get to the bottom end.

#23 ·
Gonna be in the ballpark of 7-8 grand.

#25 ·
I am doing main and rod bearings as well so there is no choice in the matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.