Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 Cab Off Upgrades

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  toren302 
#1 ·
Hi there

I am new to this forum and have owned quite a number of powerstokes but this is my first 6.4. Almost traded it in on a 2015 yesterday but have decided hang on to the truck and try to make it a last a few more years. The truck is in great shape and a pretty rare find so I am going to put some money into it and would appreciate any guidance or ideas anyone has for me.

Truck is an early build 2008, full load Lariat, manual transmission with 215,000km or about 135,000 miles. I have had it for a couple years and it has the DPF removed and a pretty smokey(unkown) tune installed right now. It needs up pipes but the truck does not make any oil and I really haven't had any other issues with it at all. It runs fine and with it's current tune and has great power but I do plan on doing some pretty heavy fifth wheel towing with it and would like some control over the programing. Other than an AFE intake I really haven't done anything to it myself.

In addition to some new manifolds and up pipes I am planning to get the EGR coolers removed and coolant filtration installed. Head studs and some work to the valve train is also in the plan as well as some better filtration for the fuel system through some sort of lift pump upgrade. From what I understand I should also change the first section of pipe heading down behind the firewall as it is restrictive.

I am just wondering if there are some other issues that I should look into dealing with while the cab is lifted and I am that far into it. From what I have heard I am a little concerned about the high pressure pump and unsure what the situation with the oil coolers are on these engines.

Fortunately meeting emmisions is not a concern here in British Columbia. Heard nothing but good things about the shop I am dealing with and have full confidence in them just want to ensure I do not overlook something that should be dealt with. I plan to get around to the intercooler and perhaps the radiator later but want to focus on the difficult to get at things at this point.

Would appreciate any suggestions out there that anyone has for me.

Thanks for your time.

Gary

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Sounds like you have a good plan. Read the link that p8ntballn posted. It has a ton of great information. If you are looking for a little more power and cooler egt's you can upgrade your LP turbo and add a ported intake manifold. There are a lot of things you can do while the cab is up. The link posted should list just about all of them :thumb:

#4 ·
If your going as far as studding, then take the extra 30mins and 300bucks and replace the oil cooler. Its not as bad as the 6.0's cooler issues but still a problem. Also I would highly recommend a set of 6.0 manifolds and up-pipes. Don't replace them with stock, but it sounds like you might know this already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.