Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New to the 6.4 World

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  '086.4LDiEsEl' 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying a 6.4 for the first time. I've owned 7.3's and 6.0's but never a 6.4. What are the first things I need to buy. That way I can put that into my budget. Thanks guys in advance for all the help!

#2 ·
Welcome to the 6.4 world. First off the 6.4 will be a money pit, but you will love the truck. First thing you'll need is atleast dpf and cat delete pipes or full exhaust, egr delete, and a tuner. Must have a tuner to delete these items. Looking around $1-2k for just those 3 things

#3 ·
Thanks Blacksmoke! Which tuner is the way to go? I've been reading Spartan is pretty bada**. Also I am looking to have it just be a realiable truck that I can tow with and not have any catostropic breakdowns! I see people with 900hp on these bad boys.

#4 ·
Dont count on a long living 900hp 6.4. Just saying.

Delete and run a light custom tune and you will be fine. Just remember to keep up on maintenance. Oil and fuel filters will make your truck happy.

#6 ·
I love mine, just MAKE SURE YOU GET AN OFF ROAD TUENR!!! lol. I made the mistake of getting a "competetion" tuner and well... yah it gets expensive for custom tunes.

However there is nothing like a custom tunes 6.4. I am running a street tune from gearhead and love it.

#12 ·
Do they increase Hp and Torque as much as everyone says.
I wish I could be there for every "first ride" after a delete and tune. You'll think someone swapped your truck for a rocket ship.

Just go easy with the skinny pedal. :nod:

300 Spartan Tune - Daily Driver

#10 ·
I am running a 100hp tune from gearhead and its epic. I refuse to run higher hp tunes though.

#14 ·
I know everyone has already brought up the tuner. Now I have 234k+miles on mine on its second engine. Check your power steering fluid, make sure it is not black or brown in color, flush it if it is, it is very easy and will help your power steering last longer and make sure you use ATF!also, the dust seal on your front drive shaft should be replaced with the upgraded one from O'Reillys (national part no 710685). Also this site is filled with a lot of great info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.