Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

P0625 alternator or batteries?

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  44magnum 
#1 ·
Battery light came on throwing a P0625 code. Volts are reading at 13.7 constant rpms don't effect it. Alternator going or are the batteries going? I'm at work so can't test either right now. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
When I got that code a few months ago my alternator was bad.

#4 ·
I figured it would be the alternator based on the code description. What kind did you guys replace it with? I've been reading and researching and I can't remember where I saw it but it said if you replace with a non motorcraft alt that the battery light will be on all the time. Is this true or can I just buy whichever meets the 125amp requirement?

#7 ·
I called a stealership for a laugh $406 plus core and tax for a new one and 360 plus core and tax for reman. I really hope that's not the case.., that just seems insane for an alt. really hoping someone can chime in that replaced with a non oem and tell me if it keeps the light on? Found a few that are much cheaper and look to be good quality

#8 ·
I also went with OEM. Got mine from Tousley ford. I went with the 200 amp alternator

#9 ·
I just got the P0625 code today. Left it at work, didn't want to chance driving home and stranded on side of road. How do I determine what amp size my alt is? Is it stamped on it somewhere? Is dual amps a factory option? Aside from looking is there something in vin that would indicate? Also from pricing looks like there isn't a whole lot of difference between the 125a and 200a versions? Any reason not to go with a 200? Could the P0625 be a bad connection at the terminal??

#10 ·
Dual alternators are an option, my truck has it. It comes with the "snow plow prep package." Off the top of my head I don't know how to check which amperage your alternator is. Best guess is to find the part # on your current alternator and do a google search on it.

P0625 is normally a bad alternator, fairly common issue actually. You can check the connection at the alternator but its probably a bad alternator.

#11 ·
Yep bad alt. Took it to O'Reilly's and $290 later...It was a stock 125amp alt. They said the dual option alt's have different sized spacers. Getting the alt out thru the passenger side wheel well was the ticket. However getting to the belt tensioner was a PITA! I'm glad I have deleted as no having the EGR valve there was a big help.

#13 ·
I'm my case, the light stayed on when my shop tried 3 different sets of aftermarket alternators. Eventually they tried the factory alternators and the light went off. You take your chance with aftermarket alternators, the light may or may not stay on.

As for factory parts, ive worked with Tasca Ford and have been happy with their service and prices. Genuine Factory OEM Parts & Accessories | TascaParts.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.