Funny sound from front end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Funny sound from front end

I had my truck in the shop, but they didn't know what was wrong...

The sound is like a jack hammer. If I am accelerating it isn't as loud. If I take my foot off the pedal, it gets louder, and if I push the brakes it even louder. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Sound sounds like it is on the driver side.

The Shop suggested to replace my pads and routers (Pads are about 30-40% left, but they are not warring smoothly), and the tie rode on the passager side has a little movement so they said I should replace it.

I also have to replace my front shocks (Driver side is leaking)

Also they showed me that my front barrings are a little loose. They are the same on both sides, so they weren't sure if it is to be that way or not. Anyone know how much movement should their be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM

I think if its anymore than 1/2" top to bottom wiggle your bearings need looking at
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the information.

I would say it moves less then 1/2 inch up and less then 1/2 down.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:56 AM

I had the same thing, almost sounds a nut being tossed around inside the motor. Mine was the bar that goes from the middle of the truck to the Axle. (not sure what you call it). I could rock the truck back and forth sitting still and it would "pop". I thought the bolt at the axel side was snapped. Took it completly off, nothing, put it back on, tightened it down. Hasnt made any noise again. I think the bolt just needed tighening.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactowing View Post
I had the same thing, almost sounds a nut being tossed around inside the motor. Mine was the bar that goes from the middle of the truck to the Axle. (not sure what you call it). I could rock the truck back and forth sitting still and it would "pop". I thought the bolt at the axel side was snapped. Took it completly off, nothing, put it back on, tightened it down. Hasnt made any noise again. I think the bolt just needed tighening.
That is the track bar....also check the frame ball joint that the bar connects too...those fail often. I'm surprised that you hear the noise and do not have death wobble as well. Have you looked at your u-joints (Drive shaft)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
front end noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.