P0128 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0128

Got check engine light on way home, code showed P0128. Looked it up an it said coolant below operating temp. Do I have a thermostat hung open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 AM

Found this on dieselsite

Another emissions regulation requires the monitoring of engine temperature and the amount of time it takes the engine to reach full operating temperature. Over the winter months we had seen a lot of check engine light concerns with the DTC's P0128 & P0196 both of which are directly related to engine temperature and warm up. P0128 is for coolant and P0196 is for engine oil temperature which is also affected by cooling system concerns.

The last we heard what that Ford Engineering is investigating this concern so I would guess that a service bulletin or a Field Service Action will be issued in the future to address this problem.

Now, to explain this, if the cooling system has a problem, whether it be low coolant, a stuck or leaking thermostat or a problem with the ECT or EOT sensors one or both of these codes will set and the Check Engine light will illuminate. There have been some instances of faulty thermostats but not an epidemic. I personally pulled one out of a truck that was bent believe it or not. The real issue is in cold weather and cold geographic locations where trucks are started and allowed to sit idling. Never a good idea to idle your truck more than a few minutes anyway. In discussing this with other technicians and comparing freeze frame data, if the engine temperature does not reach 170 degrees-F in 10 minutes the code will set. The use of a block heater seems to aggravate this as well.

What the actual problem is and what the "fix" will be is anyone's guess. The parameters are not changeable so I imagine a combination of reduced cold idling and getting the engine warm up faster will be the challenge. It also doesn't help that that the cooling fan seems to be moving a lot of air when cold...
Diesel Mentor Directory
Old 04-16-2014, 05:30 AM

Not real sure why this happened, it was about 45 here yesterday. I had been driving the truck at city speeds for probably 20mins. Stop and go traffic, up to 60mph. I was running 60mph when the check engine light came on. I drove another 20mins home and pulled the code. Cleared it and started truck, everything seemed fine. I checked the coolant and its right below the max line so I'm not sure what happened.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 AM

What temperature did the coolant get up to? If it doesn't get into the 190's it could be a thermostat.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
What temperature did the coolant get up to? If it doesn't get into the 190's it could be a thermostat.
IDK, I don't have any type of aftermarket guages. The one on the dash was almost half way between cold and hot. I know thats not much help. The odd thing was I'd been driving for 20mins and it wasn't really cold outside. I went ahead and ordered new t-stats from rock auto so I'll try to change them next week.

Last edited by Sam Hain; 04-16-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 AM

I bet new thermostats will solve your problem
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 AM

Gotta get a monitor in there and see what coolant temps are. If you wanna do a monitor on the cheap, get a Bluetooth OBD adapter and the app Torque for your phone. Pretty cheap way to have a basic monitoring system.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe505 View Post
Gotta get a monitor in there and see what coolant temps are. If you wanna do a monitor on the cheap, get a Bluetooth OBD adapter and the app Torque for your phone. Pretty cheap way to have a basic monitoring system.
I have a motorola razr (android) phone.

will this work?
http://www.amazon.com/Vgate-ELM327-Bluetooth-Scanner-ANDROID/dp/B00AAOOQJC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1397659959&sr=8-4&keywords=bluetooth+obd+adapter http://www.amazon.com/Vgate-ELM327-Bluetooth-Scanner-ANDROID/dp/B00AAOOQJC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1397659959&sr=8-4&keywords=bluetooth+obd+adapter

also, do I need the pro or lite version of torque?

thanks,
Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 AM

I ended up getting this one
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive
Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 AM

I never used the lite version. I spent the $5 on it. Be aware that there are certain things Torque won't monitor but it's a good skeleton system til you can afford a real monitor. That's what I'm doing til I can afford an edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.