Debating upgrading from a 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 03:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Debating upgrading from a 7.3

I found a 6.4 2008 450 with 88,000 miles I like and I'm debating upgrading from my e99 7.3. I have 303xxx miles on mine and the engine is running well. (no engine work except for glow plugs ever btw). I either want to put some money in mine ( go fast parts and tranny swap) or upgrade. I need to do some rear end work and replace the hub bearing assembly in mine. (a lot of minor stuff)
Heres the link.2008 FORD F-450 For Sale in Mandan North Dakota | Bill Barth Automotive Group Just would like to get some input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks like you could use a 450 judging by the sig pic! One thing to keep in mind is I'd expect about 10 mpg in that 450 and maybe after you do the deletes 13mpg. Check carfax and oisis report . If everything checks out upgrade!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM

I love love love my 6.4. With that being said i have a few questions about your 7.3. How bad is the rust and wear and tear on everything but the engine. With 300k that could go either way. I would be hesitant to spend a lot of money on a vehicle with 300k miles. Sounds like you have a very sturdy truck though and you could add to that with a little money. Seeing how thats something i hear from all your 7.3 guys and that you love very much. If you get that 6.4 you have to delete the egr and dpf to start (which includes tuner) and also if you are serious do a fuel filter system and coolant filer. Then maybe you are sitting in the same ballpark as your 7.3. I would def do your reports on this truck. What has been repalced will tell you a lot. Did the truck have a problem with fuel in the oil (bad for everything), did it loose its front cover at some point. You may get lucky like me and find one that didnt have anything done to it except the Ford upgrades that came out.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 PM

Thanks Sargent,
I only have light surface rust on the bottom that was going to sand out and rhino line otherwise only light scratches. How much does that cost to do the deletes, tuner, and fuel system? Ballpark 3 grand?
-Ross

Last edited by Rosco P Coltrain; 04-15-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Depends on what route you take in tuner dept. you could spend 500ish on a dpf-r or you could spend 2k on a H&S then there's others that fall in the middle. I'd say with out labor your looking at 3-4k on deletes with a low pressure fuel system pump.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:54 AM

You are looking at anywhere from 3-4grand for doing it right.
I would highly reccomend checking out the general 6.4 mods in the sticky.
Here is the order i would rec.
1.) Tuner and DPF delete.
2.) EGR delete > egr block off plates.
( I consider these two mandatory if you want it to last, and live some where you dont have to have it inspected.)
3.) Airdog (or otehr fuel system)
4.) Coolant Filter
5.) Head studs, i only put this one down here because you have to remove the cab most times to do it. Some people can do it without. If something comes up where the cab comes off do it then. Or if you plan on having a lead foot it might want to happen sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.