This forum scares the crap out of me, HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry This forum scares the crap out of me, HELP!

I just bought a very clean stock 08 6.4 long bed SRW 4x4 1 ton with every option that was offered that year for 26k. I'm wanting to take the family out West with a Lance Lite slid in camper on it. It has 109650 miles on it with 3238 hrs. on the clock, making it average almost 34 mph. I then started reading this forum, so I got a DPF-R Plus and did the DPF and CAT delete, change the oil and fuel filters and drove it for about 50 miles before the P0088 code (fuel rail pressure too high) pops up. I read the forum some more, holy CRAP! remove the cab. I called Tony at Gearboxz and he told me what I had already guessed that Ford did their "patch" so they weren't responsible for the HPFP under the warranty period and when I programmed the delete it kicked out the patch. He overnight and new programmer with the patch back in it but without the eco tune (the plus part). How long can I expect the HPFP to last running the higher pressures? Is this truck as bad as this forum makes it out to be? I read very few "love my 6.4 Ford" on this forum. I have a 03 Sprinter pushing 300K and have maybe put $2000 in repairs other then fluids changes in her. I have had many diesels and have always done my own repairs, do I need to buy a lift to change out a $100 sensor? I'm afraid to dive this truck to the corner let alone on a 8000+ mile trip.
Have I read just too much forum or should I run from this truck as fast as I can?

Last edited by duststrom; 04-10-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: can't spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 PM

This is just my opinion and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it but here it goes....

I've read and understand the benefits and gains from doing the tunes and deletes. That being said, I also can't help but notice that the guys having all the trouble with their trucks are the same guys that have them tuned and deleted. From what I've gathered, the stock trucks aren't the ones having trouble. My truck makes adequate power in stock form for me, so to me, it's just not worth the risk of doing the tune and deletes. Again...just my opinion. My warranty should cover any repairs as long as I leave it alone. I have left mine completely stock under the hood and I've left the exhaust and computer alone and have had zero issues with it. I do stay on top of the maintenance however, especially filters and fluids.

Also, keep in mind that the majority of the population only gets on forums when they are researching problems with their vehicle. People rarely get on forums to write about how great their vehicle is or has been. The folks on this forum make up a very small percentage of Superduty owners world-wide.
dannanw likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you drive and maintain it properly you should have no issues. Don't always drive on the highest tune and when towing turn it way down. All you have to do is drive it reasonably not hot rodding all the time and you should be good. Like everything once they get miles on them stuff wears out. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Actually the regen process is what really takes its toll on these engines. Get rid of the fuel dilution and fuel injection on the exhaust stroke and you'll make the base engine and turbos last a lot longer. I'm not saying delete the DPF and turn it up 200 horsepower. That won't do you any good.

Coolant leaks are the other big thing. Any leak is going to cause pressure cycling and coolant aeration that takes it out on the front cover, radiator and horizontal EGR cooler. Radiators can go bad at any time but the front cover and horizontal cooler are always subsequent damage from another concern.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The reason I went with the DPF-R 4.0 was to do the delete, it keeps the tunes stock.
I guess my main concern is the patch Ford did to allow the higher fuel rail pressure, will it eventually take out the HPFP and send metal though the system? How long do the pumps last on an average? The fuel systems are the one thing I have had to work on with almost all the diesels I have had. The rail pressure solenoid being my last repair on the sprinter, two bolts and a $.50 o ring and about 30mins and I was up and running, no cab off and $3500.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Matt,

Is there a way to check for potential coolant leaks? The one fluid change I haven't done yet is the coolant, it seems rather involve and I'm not sure on the correct coolant to use.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry, it might just be too late for me, but what exactly is your problem. I have never heard of this "patch" and don't even know if it's a real thing.

If you already deleted the DPF and EGR, you should be good, other than the coolant.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I for one, love my 6.4. Many others feel that way also. Problem is forums are kinda biased. There are some of us on here that love to hang out, talk trucks, mod them, and etc, then there are people that join because they have a problem and maybe are out of warranty and wanting more info so you see a lot of the negative. Especially if you look through the 6.4 problems section lol. Your gonna see nothing but problems. In reality there are lots of good running 6.4 out there and a stock 6.4 will end up taking itself out with the way the truck was designed. It's just not a good design with the regen process and will eventually give you issues down the road. Free bump and hope you get it figured out. You did the right thing by removing the emissions equipment so you have a reliable truck. Tuning isn't easy but once you get the bugs worked out it will be an animal.
fordmanmark1 and STANGMAN893 like this.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 PM

Not everyone tunes their truck to hot rod from light to light. I tuned mine because I plan on keeping it. I know just how horrible the stock regen is. I run mine on a higher tune but I keep boost under 30psi and even haven't had egt over 950 since I deleted. When it was stock I'd hit 1400. Anyway that's besides the point and like mentioned you did the right thing. I hope it gets resolved for you soon. There is many stock trucks that have grenaded the hpfp
Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What are the chances my HPFP will grenade? Especially now that I have had the patch to allow higher fuel rail pressures.
It good to know there are some 6.4 without problems out there, but when I meet owners and ask them about major problems 9 out of 10 have had them. The last two being a blown motor (coolant leak) and 10K in repairs for turbos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.