question about the high pressure fuel pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 03:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
question about the high pressure fuel pump

I'm working on a 08 f350 and had the valve covers off to look for a fuel leak. The complaint was fuel in the oil. It was overfull on oil and the oil smelled like diesel fuel. I must have started it 15 times and it ran great. Today I put it all back together and now it won't run. the scan tool shows desired fuel pressure at 4800+ but shows fuel rail pressure at 168psi. Did the hpfp go out over night. It does have a injector pressure low while cranking code. I also changed the oil and made sure others in the middle of the dip stick bulb. Now it's over full again but doesn't smell like diesel yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

those high pressure lines that feed the injectors can leak when a higher pressure hits them, where they are dry as a bone before.... also, the FRP sensor is a good place to leak.

I'm not one to toss parts at a truck, but I'd likely not think twice about swapping out every one of those high pressure lines with new ones... they aren't reusable, anyway- and they likely don't take to well to being 'adjusted' after they've seated really well.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:48 AM

I got it back apart. And I can't see anything wrong. No leaks. Everything is plugged in. No leaks at the lines or injectors.

Like I said it was running great while the valve covers was off. Shut it off and now it's dead. I don't get it
Old 04-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How is your base fuel pressure? There is a Schrader valve on the outlet line coming from the fuel cooler. It's not a sure way to check base fuel pressure but there should be something there while cranking. You may want to also remove the valve and hook up a clear hose to it. The fuel coming from it should not be aerated.

168 psi is pretty high for having a base concern. It's possible you have a bad high pressure pump or worse yet one that just decided to let go and pump metal though the system.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Pertaining to the orignal problem, I have seen a case or two where everything was checked and rechecked. Finally, they came to conclusion the HPFP itself must be leaking. They swapped it out and that took care of the problem. Was the HPFP a reman or the factory? The only 2 I have heard of that did this were remans. Of course, with your example, that doesn't explain why now you can't get rail pressure. Did you work on the lines? bleed the lines? If you are positive about the oil level, it has to be diesel, right?

Last edited by B585Ford; 04-10-2014 at 06:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to B585Ford For This Useful Post:
knowlesz71 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 04:14 AM

the pump is orginal as far as i can tell. the truck has 144k miles on it.... i took the fuel filter out at the top, there is fine aluminum shavings inside the base, there sitting on the plastic piece where the filter stem is. talked to a guy who is a diesel tech and he said that isnt good. he said most likely the pump has let go and now it needs new everything.

since trying to crank it, the oil level has risen again, not alot but it is now above the plastic bulb on the stick.

i did take off the passanger side fuel rail and lines to replace 2 rocker arms that was missing the metal clip that holds that piviot ball in. strange thing is, i fired it up after that and ran it 15-20 minutes to make sure there was no leaks at any of the lines. once i was satisfied, i shut it off and since then has never fired again lol.

this thing has been doing my head in.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by criss View Post
the pump is orginal as far as i can tell. the truck has 144k miles on it.... i took the fuel filter out at the top, there is fine aluminum shavings inside the base, there sitting on the plastic piece where the filter stem is. talked to a guy who is a diesel tech and he said that isnt good. he said most likely the pump has let go and now it needs new everything.

since trying to crank it, the oil level has risen again, not alot but it is now above the plastic bulb on the stick.

i did take off the passanger side fuel rail and lines to replace 2 rocker arms that was missing the metal clip that holds that piviot ball in. strange thing is, i fired it up after that and ran it 15-20 minutes to make sure there was no leaks at any of the lines. once i was satisfied, i shut it off and since then has never fired again lol.

this thing has been doing my head in.
If you found shavings in the fuel bowl, that aint good. I am no expert, but if I was betting man, I would bet the diesel tech is correct...the HPFP gernaded. These particular unmodded pumps (K16s) don't usually gernade...usually the valve on them begins to fail so they just get weak. The modded K16s (the only one made is produced by II and called the Dragon Fire) is notorious for gernading. Assuming K16 on the truck you are working on did gernade, I can't imagine you could done anything to cause it. My best guess is you were just extremely unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...it was going to happen whether you worked on it or not. Again, I aint no expert so hopefully some others will chime in and let you know if I am missing something.
Good luck.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:13 PM

well the new pump and injectors are in at the dealership. ill get them picked up asnd installed this week. after i finish the peterbuilt dash removel/install lol.

thanks everyone for the help. ill post back when i get it back together and running.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Were you ever able to confirm that it was the HPFP that grenaded? Are you going to leave everything else alone (besides the injectors and HPFP)? To the best of my knowledge, if you found metal shavings in the bowl, those shavings had to go through the fuel cooler to get there (unless the HPFP inlet pressure was higher than the fuel bowl pressure in which case the flow of fuel would reverse [that's not supposed to happen but maybe it could due to the grenaded pump). Also, those same shavings had to go through the rail to get to the injectors. Especially as cheap as rails are, I would think that it would be worth it to replace them.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't want to sound like I'm talking down to you, but you do know that if the Dpf is still on the truck and it regens it will dump fuel into the oil correct? Just want to make sure you arenT chasing a problem that doesn't exist......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.