My first oil change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My first oil change

I want to thank all of you in convincing me to do my first oil change. What an easy job!!! I'm really surprised that Ford engineers let this get buy them without making it harder. Took me all of 20 minutes.

I do have a question..... I also went to drain the water from the fuel and when i moved the lever to open all I got was about 5 drops of fuel with just a little water from what I could see. I was very surprised at how little fuel came out. I expected at least a couple ounces. I had the key off, but I had run the motor before checking for leaks after my my oil change. So did I do something incorrect?

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Premium Member

Those are notorious for getting clogged. Try jiggling the lever several times in hopes that it will break up the whitish crystals that form in there. IIRC you just bought this truck. If that correct, I would probably go ahead and change the filters cause mine has never clogged but I drain the water monthly or every 2000 miles.....I am thinking the previous owner was not quite as anal about maintenance.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
like he said go ahead and change the filters so you know whats been done. and the easy oil change will make up for all the cussing your getting ready to do when working on that lower fuel filter on the frame rail. and since you are new, when you open up the water seperator it usually doesnt stop. it will keep pouring and pouring so i usually cut a water bottle in half so i have a clear container and drain an inch or two and let it settle so i can see if there was any water.

Last edited by travisH3; 04-06-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Make sure your truck is on level ground when you drain your fuel water seperator. Mine won't drain good if my truck is not on level ground.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the advise on the fuel filter. Will change the filters next weekend.

Did have one other question...... This was my first oil change since my tuner and DPF removal. I noticed that the oil was over filled, I emptied 15 quarts of oil out of the pan. And it had that diesel smell to it so I can only guess that was some of the fuel that got passed the rings during the DPF regen cycle before the tune. Now that this is no longer an issue with it tuned, will I still see an increase quanty in the oil in my pan..... diesel getting into the oil?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaber View Post
Thanks for the advise on the fuel filter. Will change the filters next weekend.

Did have one other question...... This was my first oil change since my tuner and DPF removal. I noticed that the oil was over filled, I emptied 15 quarts of oil out of the pan. And it had that diesel smell to it so I can only guess that was some of the fuel that got passed the rings during the DPF regen cycle before the tune. Now that this is no longer an issue with it tuned, will I still see an increase quanty in the oil in my pan..... diesel getting into the oil?

Thanks
No, you shouldn't see an increase in volume in oil with the DPF removed. Typically, even with the DPF on, you won't see an increase in level of the oil to any significant degree; however, if you do an oil sample, the percentage of diesel is significantly above what is considered "normal" if the DPF is on. Of course, since you didn't do the last oil change, you don't know how high it was filled during the initial change. On my truck, even though the oil capacity is listed as 15 quarts, if I use 15 quarts, mine is overfilled. I have found that 14.5 quarts is how much I need to get it to the top of the fill line on the dipstick. I am not sure if this is because my truck has a manual tranny or everyone experiences the same thing.
Since your oil was high, I would check it several times to ensure you aren't "gaining" oil. There are several ways in which your oil can get contaminated by fuel...i.e. you have an underlying problem. That is probably not the case with your truck, but I would keep an eye out for it just to be sure.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I put 15qts in my 6.4 and 6.0 everytime. So you may not be gaining oil but just keep an eye on it.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The manual days 15qts for the 6.4.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
The manual days 15qts for the 6.4.

I know. The first time I did mine, I made sure I put exactly 15 quarts in. Checked the dipstick and it was almost to very top of the white plastic on the dipstick. I figured it was just the oil filter hadn't been filled. Started it up and let it idle for about 15 mins and rechecked (after I let it sit to drain the oil back in the pan) and it was still over the max mark. Took it for a quick spin and repeated and it was still over the max mark. Then I broke at the level and checked my driveway and found that I might have 0.25% grade so I turned the truck around and re-checked (yeah I might be a little OCD). Still over the max mark. Drained about 1/2 quart and it was at max and stayed at that level until my next oil change. Again, maybe cause it is a stick or maybe its just my truck, but for whatever reason, she only wants 14.5 quarts. Sounds like I am the only one who experiences this.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 AM

I also don't put the full 15 quarts to reach the full mark on the dipstick. I use between 14 and 14.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.