Metal shavings in oil filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Metal shavings in oil filter

08 F-250 6.4L, 48.5K miles fully deleted, recently changed over to Rotella T6 5W40. Upon oil filter inspection I noticed some metal shavings (non-ferrous?) imbedded throughout the filter itself. Only found 1 piece of white rubbed down thin flake, and 1 piece of ferrous metal as seen below. Nothing stuck to the drain plug magnet itself. This is the 3rd oil change since I have owned the truck, but 1st oil filter inspected. Truck was deleted at 38K miles. Blackstone reports seem to give ok feedback and can be seen below. Second report was done after contents found in oil filter, I am questioning if this oil is too thin over traditional 15W40 for higher HP tuned trucks? local shop stated possibly oil pumps low or high pressure breakdown, or any other possible concerns y'all may have that might be going on? Thanks for your time, Jayson.
Attached Thumbnails
Metal shavings in oil filter-debris.jpg   Metal shavings in oil filter-blks3.jpg   Metal shavings in oil filter-blks4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Don't you worry about it

I don't know but I will tell you the worse oil analysis I've ever had was the one time I tried T6 so I switched back to Motorcraft 15W40
The Following User Says Thank You to strokinpower For This Useful Post:
StrokiNDieseL (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

5/40 and 15/40 are both 40 weight. The first number is just the cold start weight. A thinner oil would be a10/30.
The Following User Says Thank You to srjd For This Useful Post:
StrokiNDieseL (04-05-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well as the old saying goes, Metal flake looks great in paint but not in Oil!

Honestly on a serious note I've always Used Rotella in all of my tractors, and 15w-40 in all of my trucks. I've always thought it is great stuff and it performs accordingly. I personally would just stick to 15w-40 unless Ford recommends something different for newer trucks. My 7.3 is very cold natured and I always manage to get it to start when its cold (I do have to let it warm up for a while or its to sluggish to drive, thinner oil would probably help that). I don't have a lot of experience with 6.4s but I would think that they would start much better because they are not HEUI and therefore thinner oil would not be as necessary at colder temps. Just my .02.

Edit: I reread the OP and I misread the question for my first reply. The metal flakes were found when you initially switched oil brands?

Last edited by E99F350Stroker; 04-04-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

^^^ I can't say exactly when or how long flakes have been present since this is the first filter inspected. Filter inspection will be a thing for the future as well as changing back to ford recommendations. Thanks
Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

I have run T6 since day 1 and never had issue with it. I look over the old filter but not with a fine tooth comb...guess I will have to look a little closer next time. Wish I could help ya but I am not sure what to think about what you found since your analysis is good. My first instinct would be you (or the previous owner got something in there during an oil change and the filter caught it cause surely if it was an indicator of an internal problem it would have shown up in the Blackstone. Also you would think if that had been in the pan it would have got ground up by all the moving parts. Is there anywhere you could send that debris to get it analyzed. IDK
The Following User Says Thank You to B585Ford For This Useful Post:
StrokiNDieseL (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

All my research was why I'm on my 2nd T6 fill up. grandpa's giving me chit over the weight.. I'll pull the filter in a 1k or so & see as well as ongoing analysis. Thanks again all, Jayson.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokiNDieseL View Post
All my research was why I'm on my 2nd T6 fill up. grandpa's giving me chit over the weight.. I'll pull the filter in a 1k or so & see as well as ongoing analysis. Thanks again all, Jayson.
So what did your research say. I am definitely watching this closely. I always thought I was doing my truck a favor by using it, but maybe that ain't right.

Last edited by B585Ford; 04-06-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:57 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I just changed my oil friday for the second time running T6. i looked at the filter and didnt see anything but im just gonna keep running t6. all the other trucks love it so i dont see why the 6.4 wouldnt. hope you get it figured out
Old 04-06-2014, 06:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What does Ford actually recommend for the 6.4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.