Buying 6.4 with bad motor? Opinions on price - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying 6.4 with bad motor? Opinions on price

I have a buddy who is looking at possibly purchasing a 2008 lariat f350 cclb dually with a 6.4 with a broken crankshaft. The rest of the truck has 170k and is in good condition. Now he is planning on getting a short block with 64k from a friend of ours that has one at his shop if he pulls the trigger but we are trying to figure out what a good price for it would be. The guy selling it is asking 12000, but im sure he is negotiable on it so Im looking for any input or opinions on what might be a fair price to pay or if its even worth it at all. Anything will help. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 06:11 PM

Sounds a little high. I bought my wife's 08 lariat with 120k on it 4x4 crew cab loaded for 10,600. Then got a new Ford 6.4 complete for 11,000 with a two year warranty. Now I just bought another 08 for 10k with 79k miles ccsb lariat 4x4 with a hole in the oil pan and some body damage. They are out there relatively cheap if you look in the right places.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:59 PM

Ya I thought that was a little on the high side. I was thinking that somewhere around 10k would be pretty fair but I wasn't sure that's why I asked.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:48 PM

Wow broken crankshaft?! I would price it out for a complete longblock minus your troubles and the favor you would be doing the person by buying their problem.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 PM

too high with the miles.. maybe 9k
Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Depending on what parts you need off the existing engine you are basically pricing a chassis. Does the truck look good?.....how did the crank break? these cranks are massive I'm interested in how to break one of these things!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 AM

The rest of the truck is really clean but i guess we will start low and keep it under 10k seeing as that is the general consensus. If not he can keep it until someone wants to spend that much. As far as the crank breaking I guess the flexplate broke and after he had that replaced once they started it it started knocking and from what he says you could see the crank pulley all out of whack. He had a mechanic confirm which ended up being a buddy of ours that has a short block for it. We talked with him and I guess he tried to get it for 8500 and the guy wouldn't sell but if we got it he's gonna work a good deal on that short block for us. So I guess we will see how much this guy wants to get rid of it otherwise we will cut our losses. Now if I can just explain all this to my buddy who wants it before he gets too excited about it lol.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:01 PM

replacements and or rebuilds dont go according to plan at times. what if the trans is on its last leg? then it becomes a money pit and you get the stress and frustration unless youre willing to go through all that just to save a few grand but it could cost you more in the end. fuel pumps can be another issue. whatever you decide good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.