High idle hours...help needed? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question High idle hours...help needed?

Hello to all. I am new to the site and have the opportunity to buy an 08 F250 6.4L 4x4. My company is selling off the old fleet and they gave me a list of 5 08's...buy one for myself and maybe a few more for a few buddies. Here is my situation. The trucks are all XLT trim 4x4 ext cab 8' box. All range from 63,000km to 75,000km...I am in Canada..lets say 39,000 miles to 46,000 miles. The kicker is the total hours on the trucks 6000-7000 hrs. They were all used in medical applications on industrial sites...high idle in colder climates. I know the fleet was extremely well maintained. EGR deletes completed...and all other issues dealt with. High idles of course. These trucks never towed anything and always had medical treatment unit in the box. They show perfect...but the hrs worry me...should they? I can get these for around 11,000$ CAD. Any input would be helpful. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do they still have the DPF? High hours and DPF would be a concern. The truck doesn't clean the DPF when idling, just fills it up. It has to be driven to clean the DPF.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks very much...I will ask tomorrow about the DPF...as you can tell I am also new to Diesel engines. Any other questions I should be asking?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM

Read thru the General 6.4 modifications sticky. It won't tell you everything, but it will give you a bit of insight into the world of 6.4s. Diesels are a different breed of vehicle. And the 6.4 is a whole other beast. In multiple senses of the word (both bad and awesome...)

Old 03-31-2014, 07:30 PM

Btw even if you take best case scenario you are at a whopping 6.5mph average for the life of the vehicle. They say 20 is about the goal. I was naive when I bought mine and was at like 9 plus or minus. And I haven't had major issues (but I also tinker with mine probably more than 95% of people). If you are almost stealing it and that's what you want (and you understand the required mods to make these things last), I say go for it! I love my 6.4 and will never turn back...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Again thanks...I have been reading everything I can on this site...lol. Lots of great info. I really trust our fleet mgr and will be following up with him tomorrow...by the looks of your personal info you may have some insight to the value of these trucks. Is 11,000 CAD a good deal? I have been told that these could sell for 18-20000$... I have no idea. Our office has been offered 14000$ for each truck from a dealer...they offered them to me first for an employee price of 11000$.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 PM

I think the value (according to NADA) is around $22k USD. I don't really know how that converts. So as long as it's in good running order and you aren't planning on running stock it's probably a pretty good deal. For that price I would jump on it (but be prepared to dump some $$ into modifying). I bought mine for almost triple and dumped $8k in parts to make it what it is.

I would say be prepared to get a tuner, delete the EGR and DPF, change all the fluids it should be alright. Well ok I say that with a grain of salt. How mechanically inclined are you? If not I would run. If you have basic wrenching skills most this stuff isn't bad.

Things to check tho. Radiator leaking? Transmission shifts solid and torque converter locks up? EOT and ECT are within 15* of each other when the engine is at operating temp? Does the fleet manager have all the service records (ie fuel filters every 10k miles or 400 hours, oil every 5k miles or 200 hours), were correct motor craft filters used for fuel (including the frame and engine filter) and oil? I'm sure I'm missing some. But the more you know the better decision you can make and be comfortable with the decision.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
Did the 6.4 have a manual regen option? A lot of fleets that knew they were going to idle a lot are ordered with that, but I only know of it on the 6.7's. Might check that as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm assuming it was a medic truck used on rig sites and frac sites etc. I'd be kind of conserned. All that idle time if it had dpf then I'd run. The other thing to keep in mind if that's what these trucks were used for then most of those km's were logged down the bush roads.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:05 AM

There is a manual Regen module for sale, but it's $625 (MyCANIC). Also if it was run down logging roads, ball joints and other suspension parts might be shot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.