Need help with a decision - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 05:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help with a decision

I need help with a decision I have been debating and need some help. Right now I have an 04 f250 4x4 with 115,000. Its got dual steering stabilizer, banks exhaust straight piped, ranch hand front and back and headache rack with back up lights and an egr delete. Its got a rebuilt trans and new dicim and glow plugs. It also is leveled on 35s. Right now Iím debating selling it and getting an 08 f250 4x4 with around 90,xxx miles on it. Iíve found several for around 26,000. All Iíd plan to do is dpf delete, straight piped, tuner with custom tunes, level kit and 35s with possibly ranch hands. My reason for doing it is because of the better gas mileage as well as getting a newer truck that has a smoother ride. Reliability is a huge thing for me. I tow a ski boat loaded with passengers and gear and my job is on an offshore rig so long drives are apart of my routine. I guess Iím just wondering if itís worth the switch for what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 PM

Is your truck paid off? Any problems with it? I say keep it, save your money and pick up a 6.7 in a couple years. $26,000 is too much if you ask me. I paid $28k for my F350 Lariet CCLB last year. 95,000 miles

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 PM

the only problems I've had with mine is a torque converter go and the ficm and goo plugs go bad
Old 03-31-2014, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm in a similar situation. I looked at a 6.4 last week. From what I found in my research and first person experience, gas mileage is not that great on the 6.4. It did ride good, but not $29 good....
Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 PM

interesting. my friend said without the dpf delete the mpg were pretty bad but now that he's done the delete he gets around 17
Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 PM

Dpf delete and tuned, I get 12/13 town, 16/18 HW. Best I got was 19 hand calculated all HW.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 PM

If you keep your foot out of it yes it's possible to get ok mpg's around that 16-17 range. However if you have fun with it you'll be looking closer to the 14 or worse if you're really getting on it a lot. Really depends on your driving style as well as tuning. Me personally if I had a Paid off truck that wasn't giving me any issues I'd keep it until it started with major problems. Sounds like yours are far from major and rather just maintenance, result of towing and a common 6.0 ficm issue. At the end of the day it's call doesn't really matter what we think.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 PM

I really don't drive that crazy. i don't really open it up to much. Is the front suspension more reliable/ last longer than my 6.0?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You most likely will not get better mileage in a 6.4 than a similarly set up 6.0. The compound turbos eat up some of that.

Reliability wise. Once they are bulletproofed they are probably real similar. As far as my 6.4 I haven't had any problems. My radiator is just starting to leak, but other than that it hasn't been bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The one I looked at last week was deleted. The computer read out said 12mpg. At the end of the day, I just couldn't justify spending $29k on a truck with over 100k miles on it. The only real reason I was interested was to upgrade from a supercab to a crew cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.