Exhaust break? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust break?

So im not 100% sure if my turbo whistle is normal. Once I hit about 15# of boost it sounds like a jet. Like bad. Could it be cause I have an 8" stack?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

Did the sound start right after you made some changes (like the stack)? Any possibility of getting a vid? It is really tough to diagnose a turbo "whistle" without knowing exactly what you are hearing. What are your mods?
Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 PM

Stayed doing it after I replaced a bad ebp sensor. Like it always had like a whoosh sound. But this is incredibly loud. The sound of the engine goes away and all you hear is this ungodly whooshing sound.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzyperson View Post
Stayed doing it after I replaced a bad ebp sensor. Like it always had like a whoosh sound. But this is incredibly loud. The sound of the engine goes away and all you hear is this ungodly whooshing sound.

Did you replace the entire tube or just the sensor. Obviously if it came after changing something, I can't imagine it would be normal. What is your EBP reading?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:55 PM

When I started up this morning it was 10.7 after driving around it sticks between 19-26psi. I'm still pegging 40# and typical turbo discharge just louder. I replaced the sensor and pulled the tube and blew it out with the compressor. Cleaned it real good. Even blew out the nipple on the up pipe. But no change. Quick spool. 20# just getting up to speed. 5-10# cruising. It happened after ebp I'm sure. Just not sure if these trucks have an exhaust break or not. Cause it sounds exactly like a 7.3 when the ebpv sticks. Just twice as loud. I'm running 5" straight exhaust to 8" stack. And egr and dpf deleted. I like the sound. Just not sure if it's normal.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

If I am following this correctly, you are reading 10.7 EBP at idle? If that is the case and you are pegging your boost at 40+, quit driving it until you get the EBP sensor issue fixed. There are several guys who have oversped their turbos when their EBP sensor froze. If you are in NJ now, I doubt that is the case (it usually only happens with the EGR deleted at temps below 10 and usually much colder), but there is definitely something wrong with the sensor. Your EBP should be about 3-4 at idle.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:28 PM

Brand new sensor and no. Only at koeo was it at 10.7. I tore it all apart again tonight and it sits at 13.5. I read it needs to be close to or exact as baro and MAP. Baro is 12, MAP is 12 and ebp is 13.5 at koeo. I'm not in jersey. My last name is Jerzykowski. Lol jerzy is my nickname. I live in Wyoming. Altitude 5300. I cleaned map sensor, cleaned my new ebp sensor. Pulled the tube and blew it out and cleaned it very good. Also checked for boost leaks and all. I run the 275 tune on my Spartan. And have all deletes so I mean the truck runs great not like at 1/4 throttle am I seeing 20-40# of boost. But I see 10# of boost driving normal. I mean according to all my research it checks out. Just the noise. It literally sounds like a 7.3 with jammed ebpv, just louder. I think you got confused with my 40# as in 40# on my ebp sensor. I meant 40# of boost. Nothing is holding the motor back. And nothing ridiculous like that. Just curious. I was next to a dodge last night and was in awe at the sound of it's turbo, so loud, until I let off the throttle to coast and realized the turbo I heard was mine, not his. I tried getting videos but it's so hard to get it noticeable on camera.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:31 PM

Only at 80%+ throttle do I see 40# tho. Highest I'll hit under that is 30# and that's at like 60% throttle right before shift. Then it drops to 15#

Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

My bad, I was confused on your numbers and I didn't realize you were running a Spartan....as such, you EBP numbers do sound correct based on your boost, EBP, and throttle position. I definitely understand how hard it is to get videos. 6.4s have the potential to have an exhaust brake although almost no one ever runs it. The way 6.4s can have an exhaust brake (I made one for mine using MCC) is by adjusting the vanes on the VGT at "0" throttle, but unless Spartan recently released a program for an exhaust brake, I wasn't aware of anyone making one as a canned tune because of the potential strain it puts on the valve train, up pipes, and turbos. Plus, it is not really loud (at least on my truck). I did post some videos of it on YouTube a while back and you can hear it, but is almost something you have to listen for.
Just so that I am completely clear on what you are saying, this noise is only heard when you let off the throttle (and are declerating), right? If so, have you monitored your EBPs when you let off the throttle? Since you said your truck doesn't feel like it is being held back, I doubt your EBPs are rising (as in an exhaust brake), just making sure you rule that out.
Although it sounds like all of your numbers are normal, it is weird that you only developed this sound recently and that it is so loud. Based on what you have said, it sounds like you are positive there are no signs of an exhaust leak at the tube and no cracks in the up pipes. A very rare place to get a boost leak is between the turbos but I have only read a few of them ever being there and drivers said it was more of a high pitch sound they heard when they were accelerating.
Finally, you might try sending a PM to Jeff Dodd. He works for Spartan and is very knowledgeable and helpful. He goes by 08stroker250.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM

The sound is heard at any boost above 15#. Constant. It slowly rises in volume then hits it's peak and doesn't change until throttle is released. I monitor all my major sensors religiously. I do have soot on my turbos, not a lot. And had some manifold bolts loose. I tightened everything I could, I checked and cleaned all sensors. Tightened the v clamps on the turbo. I went maintenance crazy today. But the sound occurred immediately following the sensor swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.