Any 500,000+/- 6.4's ?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any 500,000+/- 6.4's ??

I am looking for some genuine input. I have a 2000 7.3 cc sb auto srw 4x4 with 238,000. It has absolutely been meticulously maintained and in perfect running order. I haul campers for a living and need a long box. Should I stay with a 7.3 and wait for a long box dually or switch to a 6.4 dually?

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
6.4 has some issues when left stock. if you can find one with low miles and delete the emissions equipment they are great trucks. if left stock you will have more power than the 7.3 but alot more headaches and expensive break downs most likely if your using it to haul daily. one thing you have to worry about is DOT. if your hauling around your area you wont have an issue if you dont have emission inspections but if your traveling around the country you may run into problems with deletes if someone wants to hassle you
Old 03-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just curious why do you "need" a long bed? I tow 5th wheel and GN trailers and I run a 7ft bed. I'd stay with your 7.3....
Old 03-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

500k in 6 years is a TON of miles....!!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:13 AM

thanks for the heads up on the out of state DOT inspections.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 AM

When you buy fuel in Indiana, with our lease, it is tax free. I would like to get a 100 gallon auxillary tank and I have not found many large tanks that fit below the bed rails to the 5th wheel camper wont hit them and the distance from the 5th wheel hitch rails to the cab is short. Also, rolling with 16-20 K in camper+truck, the longer truck would be a bit more stable.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Mine has 213 + K miles on it, been deleted from day one. No real issues other than a radiator replaced at 98K miles, all other issues were self inflicted lol. As long as its been taken care of no reason why it shouldn't last just as long or longer than any other diesel.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:07 PM

that is my goal, to remove the weak links and when it is time for the radiator, go with an aftermarket, all aluminum one.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you need a truck like mine, no hotel bill, 7.3 is proven reliable, over 100gal fuel capacity.... its perfect for what your wanting, no its not for sale. just trying to give you ideas
Old 04-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
6.4 has some issues when left stock. if you can find one with low miles and delete the emissions equipment they are great trucks. if left stock you will have more power than the 7.3 but alot more headaches and expensive break downs most likely if your using it to haul daily. one thing you have to worry about is DOT. if your hauling around your area you wont have an issue if you dont have emission inspections but if your traveling around the country you may run into problems with deletes if someone wants to hassle you
^^^I couldn't agree more....and like was mentioned...if you can find a way to make it have a legal sleeper berth, it would definitely be worth your while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.