From 6.0 to 6.4...well maybe... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
From 6.0 to 6.4...well maybe...

Yesterday I found my self stopped in a parking lot right next to a used lot at a local GM dealer. They had a 09' lariat fx4 ccsb. Its got 104k on it. I really didn't have time to give it a good going over. I did notice it had a dpf delete, and the 35" toyo mts were about shot. They're asking $28,900. I am not really in the market for a new truck, but this truck looked bad ***.

I plan on going back later in the week and give it a good going over and test drive it. My main concern with it being deleted is if they have the tuner or not and what type of tuner. Other than that, I don't know much about the 6.4. I do have a good powerstroke mechanic nearby that I can bring it to and have checked out.

My question(s): if I can beat them down over the tires and possible missing tuner and what ever else I can find, plus my trade. I may be able to get into this truck for $12-15k give or take. My current truck is a 03' 4x4, lariat supercab with 154k on it. Worth about 10k trade value. I want/potentialy need to get into a crew cab. Would it be worth giving up a trouble free (so far) 6.0 that I am fairly familiar with, for a truck I don't know much about, over a fullsize back seat? I know about the issues with the radiators and leaks etc. but what else should I look for on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
is your 6.0 payed for? if so keep it.

if you need a full back seat (assuming for a kid) get a car and keep a payed off truck.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Using tax money to polish off the last few notes next month. Wife and I are kicking around the whole "kid(s)" idea. I plan on buying here a new car next summer, if the kid thing is an issue then by then, I could keep her Grand Cherokee and use that. I guess I need to go ahead and put a lift and wheels and tires on it now so that she doesn't complain that I waited to I started driving it to make it look cool... Just wish it was better on gas. I get better fuel mileage in the truck.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You have the most leverage with the issue of federally mandated emissions equipment thats been deleted.

Youll be kicking yourself if this 6.4 gives you a lot of problems unless you are prepared for some trouble of some kind.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:53 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just make sure you do plenty of research first so you know what issues are common with the 6.4. Every engine has their problems. You just need to be aware of the 6.4 ones so when/if they happen you don't get pissed off at your new truck or your decision to buy it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-26-2014, 04:50 AM

I wouldn't buy a previously modded 6.4 unless I personally knew the seller
Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
I wouldn't buy a previously modded 6.4 unless I personally knew the seller
Me either, the money you spend deleting it yourself is well worth knowing what was done. 6.4's have a rep of being the "hot rod" diesel and most are driven as such when tuned.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:19 AM

Man you have high hopes. I doubt( could be wrong) that they will go from 29k to 12 or 15. Also I traded my 2003 6.0 in back in October with 110,000 miles and got 8k. My buddy traded his in with 200k and got 4k. I'd be surprised if you were to get 10. But you may have better dealerships in your area. I personally wouldn't steer away from the truck cause they possibility or previously tuned. Not everyone drives it like they stole it like. Get the vin and see if you can get a fast oasis rom someone on here, like noted above use the dpf delete etc to your advantage when dealing with them. I liked the hell out of my 6.0, never failed me. Hate seeing the new owner rough it up , but I really line the 6.4.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:34 AM

He's talking out of pocket with his current truck as trade-in
Old 03-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

not talking down your 03 but I would be shocked if they gave you 10K on trade. we all know a modded 6.0 can run well into the 300k range but a dealership will say "the trucks is 11yrs old" and will low ball you. I had this same situation pop up with my 05 ext cab and I kept it. A child seat will fit in the back and its not a huge pain until the kid is 4 or 5......whatever you do don't force it!! if they give you a screwy deal then walk , there are good deals out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.