Need some help Coolant leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some help Coolant leak

Last weekend i drove the truck and for sure did not have a coolant leak. This saturday morning I was driving it and realized that the heat was not working and the coolant temp on my gauge was getting high so added a gallon of coolant to it.
I drove an hour and a half with no problems and parked the truck in a sand parking lot for 5 hrs. Checked the coolant before i took off again and it was a gallon low again. Drove an hour and a half home with no problems.

Parked it in the garage over night and there was a puddle under the truck the next morning. I have looked under the truck and over the engine bay while its running and cant see it leaking anywhere.

It is hitting the belt because you can see the coolant residue on the underside of my intake piping and intake elbow. It drips down and runs on the front axle and all over the steering components. I started pulling on the coolers off because iam thinking that it is a water pump but what do you guys thing it could be? I am kind of puzzled.

Any help would be apprciated. ( the single turbo and studs are not in the truck yet so pay no attention to my sig. IT DOES HAVE AN EGR DELETE THOUGH)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Check the radiator (they always end up leaking) and the hoses. If the hoses have white at the end you have updated double o-ring hoses. If red IIRC, then you have single o-ring that are known to leak. Very good chance it is one of those 2 items.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM

The ends are for sure white! Thanks for the help. I guess i will pressure test the radiator.Keep the info coming the guys!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 AM

If hoses are the updated ones then more than likely its the radiator. Check the drivers side bottom where the tanks are crimped on. That's where mine was leaking. Also just to clarify the old hoses have black ends and the new ones have white.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
If hoses are the updated ones then more than likely its the radiator. Check the drivers side bottom where the tanks are crimped on. That's where mine was leaking. Also just to clarify the old hoses have black ends and the new ones have white.
Thanks for clarifying....my bad saying the old ones were red.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
Thanks for clarifying....my bad saying the old ones were red.
No biggie Brett. You always have a bunch of valuable information. I still have a ton to learn
Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 PM

theres a hose that comes off the water pump and into another hose at the center and bottom of the radiator. follow that hose to the passenger side of radiator. so there are three connections along those hoses where it could leak among many places.

which intake hose/pipe were you referring to?

also check your egr delete plugs particularly the small one near the top front of engine.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM

I was referring to the one that my air filter is on and the elbow that comes off the manifold
Old 03-25-2014, 01:42 PM

ok i see what youre saying. long way to travel for the coolant to be hitting your air filter pipe.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 PM

Yes i know thats why i feel like it has to be hitting the belt. Unfortunately iam out of town til thursday night so i will not be able to work on the truck until friday but i hope its a line or the water pump. I can see the front of the heads and they do not look wet or have residue on them so im almost certain it did not pop a head gasket. Iam doing studs and other stuff to it in the next couple weeks but i want to do them one at a time if possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.