Detroit locker question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Detroit locker question

I've got rear end chatter while turning and while under load. Just doing some homework before it gets checked out. I've searched and tried reading up on lockers and the truetrac. I only have a one wheel wonder and know that my ls clutches have been worn out since I got the truck. I was leaning heavily towards the truetrac for on road manors and also for towing vs a locker. Then I read that Detroit has in the last few years changed the way the locker engages. Someone said they have a soft locker or something like that? I was wondering if anyone has a "soft" locker and could share the mannerisms of it on the road? How easily does the locker engage vs the truetrac? Like I said I tow and use my truck for hunting in the spring, fall and winter, but I'd say 80% of the time it's on the street. I've read that most people are very satisfied with their truetracs but there are some that say they wish they'd got the locker. There's been many times this winter that one tire would be on dry pavement and the other on ice and I'd have to put it into 4x4 just to take off.... Annoying....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What you're going to find out with a truetrac or a locker is that you're not gaining a whole lot of extra traction in an unloaded pick-up truck. You're still going to need 4wd and you may need it even more in slippery conditions to keep from totally losing control of the rear end. Yes in mud and gravel it is nice to have, in snow and ice you should have it in 4wd all the time.

I wrecked the truck this year and it started by losing the rear on the interstate in some pretty bad conditions. If I would have had it in 4wd it wouldn't have happened. If I didn't have a limited slip it also might not have happened.

For whatever it is worth my truetrac has never let me down. I don't know it's back there and it's never one wheel peeled. I've got at least 40k miles on it
Old 03-23-2014, 05:31 PM

Have you ever had to "trick" the rear end and tap the brake to make the truetrac lock up? I've read that on here a few times. Some never had to do this but some have. Seems like if you're in a situation and had to do this that tapping the brake would be the last thing on my mind to do.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 PM

I have been researching
if u read Eatons website it looks like the Detroit is still noisy and harsh and really aimed for a different crowd than the DD unlike the Detroit truetrac
Old 03-23-2014, 06:41 PM

I was also looking at their site. Would the old "Detroit locker" be the eaton m locker? That seems a lot like the locker in my Tahoe. I talked to them a while back about something else and the rep from eaton said they make the lockers for the newer Chevys and the one in my Tahoe they said that it locks when there is a 100rpm difference but only operates like that under 30 mph. The m locker is a limited slip (not open diff like the truetrac until it engages) until the 100rpm difference so you can turn, then it fully engages.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 PM

m locker ? I don't know it took me forever to get the Detroit and the Detroit Truetrac sorted out LOL
Old 03-23-2014, 06:46 PM

Haha, for real! Here is their site I was looking at.

Differentials & Locking Differentials
Old 03-23-2014, 06:51 PM

thx thats the site I used also and Jegg's

so the " no spin is the one most list as the Detroit I think LOL here is the actual Eaton detroit page http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...als/PCT_221432

I started this when a guy listed a Detroit truetrac but linked to the Detroit

on jeggs site turns out his was a no spin and even though they were way more money and He had a smoking deal but I had no desire for that unit

Last edited by ZMANN; 03-23-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:58 PM

The m locker doesn't sound like it'd be too bad for a non trail/offroad rig. I always assumed that full lockers were locked 100% of the time. This does allow somewhat for turning the inside wheel to spin slower.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have never had to trick my truetrac into locking up. Generally you can tell when both wheels are spinning when the rear end wants to walk out on you. By that time you're already wishing you were in 4wd

Full lockers are locked in when you're going straight and unlock to allow the wheels to spin different speeds when turning. Truetracs are not always locked in and bias torque to the wheel with most traction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.