Mishimoto Aluminum radiator & replacment EGRs and other questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mishimoto Aluminum radiator & replacment EGRs and other questions

Guys,
I bought my 2008 KR used with 94,000 miles on it have not even made the first payment and this is what has been done already.

1. Replaced both Thermostats.
2. did the 100k service early
3. #7 injector took a crap warranty covered it
4. Had dealer replace #5 injector as it had intermittent code paid out of pocket on this one.

Now it has the dreaded leaking radiator leaky from drivers side.

It has the Tee installed and upgraded upper radiator hose with white end but the lower hose has black on both ends is this the old style?

I have a complete drive train warranty forever on the truck I.E Engine/Transmission/transfer case/differentials/turbo thru warranty forever.

So here is my question do I get rid of the truck as fast as possible before I basically have to put 20k into it or keep it and do the fixes below?

Go ahead and replace the radiator with Mishimoto aluminum radiator Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Aluminum Radiator, 2008-2010, by Mishimoto

Replace both EGR's with the upgraded Bulletproof ones from 6.4L EGR Coolers

So replacing the above with the installation looking at spending another $2,700 into the truck will this make it more reliable or am I just throwing my money away.

I don't want to do any tune or mods to the truck so I don't void the lifetime warranty so what are your thoughts please?
Thanks matt

Last edited by Navy Chief; 03-20-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 07:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It seems like all 6.4 owners will eventually need to put an aluminum radiator. They all seem to leak eventually. Where are you located? If there is no emissions testing I would delete the egr coolers. You can get a delete kit for $280. Yes if the lower hose has a black end it is the old style hose. I would do the updated lower hose when you do the radiator. All these things along with a dpf delete and programmer will make your truck more reliable. Hope this helps.

http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/index...mart&Itemid=54
Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

In order to keep the lifetime drivetrain warranty i do not want any mods hence why i asked if i went with the upgraded egrs and the aluminum radiator if it would make the truck more reliable?

I love the truck but need reliability and not wondering when next breakdown would occur. Knowing all these issues with this design i never would have bought it.

Right now looking do i spend the extra $3,000 into the truck to try and fix the piss poor designs of the ford factory or just run away and trade it in on a 2011 dodge 2500 5.7 hemi truck that has a proven motor and does not cost near anywhere to repair as this 6.4 pos?

It sucks i am even dealing with this because my wife and I love the king ranch.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes the mods you listed will make the truck more reliable. Me personally I would not own a 6.4 stock. As far as the decision if you should keep the truck or sell it, that will be a decision you need to make
Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

Pretty much if you don't delete it you will have issues. Look around on here. Btw the warranty for these trucks aren't worth the paper there written on. They will deny it for any stupid reason. But it really depends on your dealer. They could decide to deny it over your "bullet proof" parts.

You could delete the dpf and tune it and if you have a issue put it back stock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Calling the 6.4 a pos is a bit of an overstatement. It's a great motor as it was originally designed and intended before the EPA got their grubby hands on it. Personally as stated above I wouldn't own a 6.4 stock. With all the crap MIA my truck runs beautifully. Oil analysis is better than some brand new trucks...

But my tuned 6.4 is gonna have to be pried from my hands before I get rid of it. Modded correctly and treated and maintained with care they will last a very long time and be reliable.

Even bulletproof EGRs put soot into the motor. And eventually the regens occurring to clean the DPF will kill your #7 & #8 cylinders from dumping fuel into them on exhaust strokes. If I had to have a stock powerstroke. 6.7 all the way.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[QUOTE=CountryAggie;8619161]Calling the 6.4 a pos is a bit of an overstatement. It's a great motor as it was originally designed and intended before the EPA got their grubby hands on it.

You are correct the motor is great all the emissions crap is why it is a pos i should not have to spend another $2,000-$5,000 and skirt federal regs to have a reliable truck by modding it so it does not break down on me.

I traded a 2002 chevy avalanche in i had since new had 154,000 miles on it and never had a check engine light the whole time i owned it with a 5.3 and i maintained it i needed something more than a 1/2 ton so i opted for the KR big mistake i have decided to find an older ford or something else prior to all this epa crap. So if somebody wants to buy this truck it is up for sale now.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

I wasn't calling it a pos. I love my 6.4. I have 131k on mine now and not one issue. Not even the radiator. Mines still the factory one and so are the hoses. But I will never have one stock. The dpf kills it. This isn't just a ford problem. My buddies with duracrap and cummins have the same issues. One of the 08 duracraps is on it third motor.

Last edited by Lifted Fords; 03-21-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
You are correct the motor is great all the emissions crap is why it is a pos i should not have to spend another $2,000-$5,000 and skirt federal regs to have a reliable truck by modding it so it does not break down on me.

I traded a 2002 chevy avalanche in i had since new had 154,000 miles on it and never had a check engine light the whole time i owned it with a 5.3 and i maintained it i needed something more than a 1/2 ton so i opted for the KR big mistake i have decided to find an older ford or something else prior to all this epa crap. So if somebody wants to buy this truck it is up for sale now.

Sounds like you may need to stick with a 3/4 ton gaser.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[quote=Lifted Fords;8619593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post

Sounds like you may need to stick with a 3/4 ton gaser.

Yep already looking! I dont need to pull 12,000 lbs or more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.