Used 6.4 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 02:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Used 6.4 questions

My brother is in the market and wants to purchase a 6.4. We went to a dealership today that strictly deals with diesels, and he found an 08 lariat 6.4 with 120,000 miles on it clean truck the dealership only buys from the south, i asked the dealer if the truck ever had the head studs done on it cause i like to pick there brains sometimes, and he said the 6.4's never need the head studs done only 6.0's now me being a fellow 6.4 owner i thought that they were subject to head stud problems like the 6.0 but not in need as much on the 6.4? Any truth to this? He also said the truck had been dpf deleted, so i got on the ground and it sure enough had a straight pipe but i visually didnt see a tuner anywhere another red flag, my buddy has a duramax where his tuner is programmed straight to the computer thus no need for a on dash tuner im assuming thats what this guy had goin on is that possible. I live in ohio and i know to resell a diesel it needs the neccesary emissions on the truck to resell something seemed fishy here. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 02:22 PM

They also wanted 26,000 for the truck, where i payed 28,xxx for mine a year ago with only 62,xxx miles on it
Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Seems like the price is about right (atleast in my area). It probably has a plug and play tuner (just like you said).
Old 03-19-2014, 04:48 PM

O okay that makes sense i dont know if you live in an e-check area but from my understanding you cant sell a truck that doesnt pass an e-check right off the lot which seemed pretty sceptical of ths place
Old 03-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Selling a truck with emissions removed is a federal thing. Has nothing to do with where you live. Some dealerships get away with it. Personally I wouldn't buy the truck. If you can't figure out what tuner it is I don't want it. Would I buy a previously tuned truck? Sure as long as I know what tuner it was and I could get the truck pressure checked and check to make sure the torque converter doesn't slip when I drive it (need gauges for that).

As far as studs, yes 6.4s are less keen to blowing gaskets, but it still happens enough to make studs an eventual plan.

Also $26k seems decently around the right price. These trucks actually hold value pretty well. I pretty much stole my truck at $28.5k with 58k miles, but most are probably around that price. Especially if it's a loaded 4WD.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.