Mod spec question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mod spec question

I've got a stock F250 w/6.4 PSD. I am wanting to add/do the following and am wondering if anyone knows what HP/Torque/MPG figures I'd be looking at once completed.
Tuner (either Spartan Phalanx or H&S Mini Max set on lowest hp/mpg tune)
dpf delete
egr delete
Cold Air Intake kit (Banks or aFe)
FASS or AirDogII air/fuel filter (150)
Water/Methanol injection (Banks Double shot or Snow MPG MAX)
Cold side intercooler tube upgrade

Also, if there is something missing, please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 02:34 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o9rady View Post
I've got a stock F250 w/6.4 PSD. I am wanting to add/do the following and am wondering if anyone knows what HP/Torque/MPG figures I'd be looking at once completed.
dpf delete
egr delete

About the same HP as any other CAI, delete, tuner truck....roughly 540 to 580 RWHP assuming a the dyno is accurate. The Snow or Banks might help a little on mileage. MPG will largely be determined by your right foot and where you drive (city is worse obviously) . If mostly highway, I would estimate about 15 to 18 MPG if you stay out of the skinny pedal if you have a CCSB
The Following User Says Thank You to B585Ford For This Useful Post:
o9rady (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 04:23 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

dpf delete

egr delete

1. As far as tuner the hotter the tune (read higher HP) the better your mileage will be, as long as you can keep your foot out of the skinny pedal (and trust me it's hard). On a long roadtrip I have logged 18.4mpg. But I average about 14.5 (city/50 mile round trip to work/playing... And I have a lot of skinny pedal fun).

2. You are in the right track with deletes, can't go wrong with the AFE, S&B or Banks (although I have had zero first hand experience with Banks intake)

3. If you opt for the airdog get the 165.

4. I have been debating the water meth for a long time but just have never found a convincing argument to do it. It may work. But many guys who actually log data haven't seen any help (unless you are just talking about lowering EGTs for towing. Then only run water). Everyone I can find that runs the water meth and advocates for it reads their MPGs off their dash and don't hand calculate or log any data (I'm an engineer, I like good hard data that I can graph and see trend lines...)

4. I would suggest a new CAC, and if you are going to do the exhaust, do it right the first time with a full turbo back (i.e. 4" downpipe and either a 4" or 5" exhaust).

Check out the general 6.4 modifications sticky also...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-19-2014, 04:37 AM

Also what truck do you have? Year, cab configuration, 2wd or 4wd, etc? Only thing that'll make a difference on is fuel mileage. 08s have 3.73s for the lowest rear end, sometime in 09 they made 3.55s available. The 3.55s will bet you a bit better mileage than me (if you drove comparably). Also being 2wd, lower, narrower tires, lighter truck (read smaller than CCSB), etc will net you better mileage.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:02 AM
Premium Member

As Aggie said (and I forgot to mention), do the exhaust turbo back (4" or 5" DP). I also agree that if you do AD, do the 165. Personally, I would lean towards the Areomotive 1000 or Fuel Lab instead of AD....lots of people have not had issues with AD (especially it seems like the older ones), but others had problems with AD. From what I hear, AD does provide good customer service if it does fail. Finally, on the CAI, if your budget will allow, I would consider a No Limits CAI...it will be able to handle anything you could throw at it in case you do bigger turbos in the future.

For the sake of hearing different opinions, I personally think a new CAC is much further down on the list unless you tow heavy frequently. I am not saying that a new CAC isn't helpful or a good idea, its just I would do several other mods before I did the CAC unless you are having condensation issues with it (Ford released a SB on the early CACs regarding this).

I would do the CCV mod...its a DIY cheap mod. From there, it really depends on your goals as to whether you do anything else. I would start saving money for head studs if you like the skinny pedal. If you HGs ever fail and you have to lift the cab, the fun really begins...turbos, exh manny, up pipes, etc.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

08 Super Crew Lariat 4x4. I don't know how to post a picture or put my truck info on my profile
Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I really use this truck as a daily driver. I've have a bass boat, but that rig is only 1700#.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wanted a diesel over gas for longevity and (apparently mistakenly) mpgs over gas 4x4.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
08 Super Crew Lariat 4x4. I don't know how to post a picture or put my truck info on my profile

I pretty much have the same setup as you. Mileage varies based on how you drive. But I guarantee the diesel gets better mileage than the gas. Especially when towing anything. You are driving a heavy truck. Any stop and go will drop your mileage. Driving faster than 70 significantly drops it the faster you go (it is as aerodynamic as a brick). Lifting it makes the aero worse, along with wider tires etc. I haven't noticed any negligible difference making sure your front hubs are always unlocked, but it's better for wear at least. Removing any excess weight will increase your mileage. Also making your engine more efficient will also. Unfortunately more efficient means more power in a diesel (read more fun with the skinny pedal and more discipline you have to have to get good mileage).

But as far as feeling led astray that diesels get phenomenal mileage is fair. Older diesels get better mileage (well some). When the power kept getting turned up, the components started being made stronger (which drains efficiency but it won't break). Case in point our transmission is the only one that doesn't require a bulletproof to be able to handle over 500rwHP!

The Following User Says Thank You to CountryAggie For This Useful Post:
o9rady (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not going to lift my truck...may level front end later, though. But I don't plan on putting bigger tires/wheels.
I'm pretty conservative driver...to the point little old Asian ladies honk and flip me off when they go around me.
I'm practicing driving and keeping the factory boost gauge under 10...it seems to help on the Lie-O-Meter anyways.
Can you look at my mods and suggest an order? I cant decide if i want to go tuner first or water/meth injection first. If I do tuner first, then dpf & egr come off the following week.

Gig Em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.