Opinions on 09 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions on 09 6.4

I am currently looking at two 6.4's. One is a 08 lariat with 213000 miles with presumably nothing done to egr/dpf. The other is a 09 xlt with 190000 miles on it but has CAI, egr/dpf delete and a SCT tuner. I'm sure the one with all the mods would be the right choice but the lariat is way more loaded. If I did go with the lariat I would do the deletes CAI tuner. Just would like to get some of your opinions on what might be the better choice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Id just drive both see what kind of maitnence has been done to both of them are the prices similar? Just becuase one is deleted dosnt mean its the best choice could have been drove hard and put away wet.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by princetontigers View Post
could have been drove hard and put away wet.
Looking at the miles they both were IMO
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Hain For This Useful Post:
princetontigers (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hain View Post
Looking at the miles they both were IMO
Not necessarily. They could be all highway miles and babied their entire life. Miles don't signify a hard life.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjmaxx View Post
Not necessarily. They could be all highway miles and babied their entire life. Miles don't signify a hard life.
True, but 35500 /year on the 08 and 38200 /year on the 09 is A LOT of miles no matter if they were easy or not. I've been down the buy a late model high mileage because its cheap diesel truck path before and its not worth it if you can barely make the loan payments with no money left over for repairs. Had an 01 7.3 about bankrupt me when I was 19.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:27 AM

Miles don't concern that's why you buy a diesel right? I spoke with both owners. The 09 owner said when he purchased the truck it had a bad engine and bought a engine out of a wrecked vehicle and that's when he did all the deletes. The new engine has 50k less miles than the truck. The 08 is sitting at a ford dealership and and when bough new there. It is a one owner. Never has had anything done to it. The salesmen told me the owner of the truck owned a oil company and drove all over the Midwest. He also pulled a horse trailer with it. They're supposed to be sending me a oasis report. The 08 is about a thousand dollars cheaper. I guess what would a egr/dpf delete, tuner, CAI intake cost me to do to the 08?
Old 03-15-2014, 04:47 AM

On the 08 does anyone think it's strange that it could have that many miles on it without any major mechanical issues? Or is this just one of the rare 6.4's that don't have any problems?
Old 03-15-2014, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If u can get me then vin I'll run a oasis report on it I don't believe that at all

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-15-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonfeather View Post
Miles don't concern that's why you buy a diesel right? I spoke with both owners. The 09 owner said when he purchased the truck it had a bad engine and bought a engine out of a wrecked vehicle and that's when he did all the deletes. The new engine has 50k less miles than the truck. The 08 is sitting at a ford dealership and and when bough new there. It is a one owner. Never has had anything done to it. The salesmen told me the owner of the truck owned a oil company and drove all over the Midwest. He also pulled a horse trailer with it. They're supposed to be sending me a oasis report. The 08 is about a thousand dollars cheaper. I guess what would a egr/dpf delete, tuner, CAI intake cost me to do to the 08?
Biggest thing is what tuner you go with, an SCT will be in the 800 range with the spartan and h&s in the 12-1400 range. Then figure 280 for CAI, 225 or so for a cat/dpf delete pipe and 150 for egr delete kit. If you get an SCT figure a couple 100 for custom tunes if you don't want to run the canned ones.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princetontigers View Post
If u can get me then vin I'll run a oasis report on it I don't believe that at all

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'll pm you the two vins. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.