easy out or bolt extractor success on exhaust manifold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zsargent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
easy out or bolt extractor success on exhaust manifold

I have a bolt broken on my drivers side rear exhaust manifold. before I try to pull the manifold and risk breaking any other bolts , has anyone had any success getting broken bolts out of the head using these methods. Only the head of the bolt broke off so there is still about 2 inches sticking out of the head itself
Thanks in advance guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

I don't have any advice that would be helpful for this, but good luck
Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxp View Post
I have a bolt broken on my drivers side rear exhaust manifold. before I try to pull the manifold and risk breaking any other bolts , has anyone had any success getting broken bolts out of the head using these methods. Only the head of the bolt broke off so there is still about 2 inches sticking out of the head itself
Thanks in advance guys
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had similar problem with broken off bolt head on my backhoe turbo exhaust housing.
I also still had some bolt left to grip. I was successful soaking thread area with PB blaster several times during day and was able to break loose with large vice grips without problem the next day. The PB blaster needs some time to work down the threads.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You might be able to weld a nut to the broken bolt if you have enough sticking out. Plus the heat will help it break loose

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is the broken bolt. I'm afraid to remove the manifold and break any more bolts. What are your thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
easy out or bolt extractor success on exhaust manifold-2014-03-14-00.19.02.jpg  
Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Oh that looks painful.Good luck, let us know how it ends up
Old 03-14-2014, 01:31 AM
Premium Member

Torch... everybody should invest the 200$ for a set of torches.

Heat the heads on the rest of the bolts, and let them cool a couple times. Then heat again till almost red and they should spin right out.

Then remove the manifold and torch whatever is sticking out of the broken bolt and it should wiggle free with some vice grips. I'm not sure how much room you have in there though.

Soaking with penetrant for a few days helps too, but nothing beats a torch for exhaust bolts.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:45 AM

Negative Schlutzer. these are bolts, not studs. if you heat the heads you'll twist them and break them and if you heat the entire bolt red you risk damaging the engine head.
I owned two exhaust shops for many years and I've done countless broken bolts and exhaust manifolds....

Maverick,
Soak the bolts in PB blaster, or better yet use "mouse milk". Amazon sells it for about $10 a bottle. A little goes a long way... we use it extensively in the aviation industry. It'll loosen everything. be generous and patient. Your only choice here will be to remove the other bolts and get the manifold out.
Get some vice grips, or better yet, if you can, weld a nut on the broken bolt and back it out.
When you've got all of them out; clean the threads in the head and install STUDS back in. Not bolts. Try using SS ones. It'll make it way easier if you have to remove exhaust manifold next time around.

hope this helps and good luck.
GSchretter likes this.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsargent View Post
Negative Schlutzer. these are bolts, not studs. if you heat the heads you'll twist them and break them and if you heat the entire bolt red you risk damaging the engine head.
I owned two exhaust shops for many years and I've done countless broken bolts and exhaust manifolds....

Maverick,
Soak the bolts in PB blaster, or better yet use "mouse milk". Amazon sells it for about $10 a bottle. A little goes a long way... we use it extensively in the aviation industry. It'll loosen everything. be generous and patient. Your only choice here will be to remove the other bolts and get the manifold out.
Get some vice grips, or better yet, if you can, weld a nut on the broken bolt and back it out.
When you've got all of them out; clean the threads in the head and install STUDS back in. Not bolts. Try using SS ones. It'll make it way easier if you have to remove exhaust manifold next time around.

hope this helps and good luck.
That's why you heat them multiple times and on the last time don't go red hot... Trust me it works I've done it many times. Obviously being careful what you let get hot and how much force you put on the bolts

I totally agree on your putting studs in instead of bolts though. Much better way for it to be
Old 03-14-2014, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

good luck with this. i think a homemade mixture of trans fluid and acetone tested the best out of many penetrants. im finishing a can of pb blaster so i can mix a solution of my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.