Anyone pulled a 6.4 without removing cab? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone pulled a 6.4 without removing cab?

I have a 2008 cc lariat superduty with 155k that I need to pull the motor out due to a whole in the #5 cylinder. Guy at the dealership said it can be done without pulling cab and just by taking the fenders, hood, core support and other odds and ins on the front end. Anyone ever don't this? also anyone ever bored and sleeved the cylinders on a 6.4 want to know some information on that as well. I plan on having the block machined and then sleeeving the cylinders and going with some upgraded pistons. I plan on having the injectors tested to make sure a leaky one didn't burn up #5 any info would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 PM

I would think you might squeek it out the front if you remove all that componentry.....

There is an article in Diesel Tech Mag on a truck that the guy did exactly what your after...you might want to check it out....
Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

why not get a long block instead ?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It would be easier to pull the cab. You don't need a lift if you your creative and have a few buddies. Just pull the bed off and lift the cab backwards it's fairly easy to do
Old 03-12-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKE THIS!! View Post
I have a 2008 cc lariat superduty with 155k that I need to pull the motor out due to a whole in the #5 cylinder. Guy at the dealership said it can be done without pulling cab and just by taking the fenders, hood, core support and other odds and ins on the front end. Anyone ever don't this? also anyone ever bored and sleeved the cylinders on a 6.4 want to know some information on that as well. I plan on having the block machined and then sleeeving the cylinders and going with some upgraded pistons. I plan on having the injectors tested to make sure a leaky one didn't burn up #5 any info would be much appreciated
Some people have done it. Youd have to search threads. Its a lot of work. In the shop manual it shows you how. Basically the same procedure as cab off plus more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxp View Post
It would be easier to pull the cab. You don't need a lift if you your creative and have a few buddies. Just pull the bed off and lift the cab backwards it's fairly easy to do
I agree with creativity but youre gonna need a lot of tall people who are stronger than Schwarzneger. That cab is heavy and its got get about 4 feet in the air to clear the spring bracket.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
why not get a long block instead ?
cause a long blocks about 4500 bucks... and i can get the machening done for nothing
Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM

i mispoke earlier..... the dealers computer says no compression in #5....
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM

you can get the machining done but you want to sleeve every cylinder ?

the cost seems to outweigh the free machining by the time you buy the sleeves and pistons

have you found sleeves yet ? blackwater uses dry liners but I don't read a lot about folks wanting sleeves ? not that i follow the 6.4 much
just wondering heck maybe it just needs a piston ?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:34 PM

who is sleeving 6.4's?

I haven't found a machinist who will do it because there's too much risk of breaking the skirt off when you press the sleeve
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 PM

there is alot of risk thats true. who knows whats actually wrong. Wont know for sure until we tear into it. I wonder if a broken rocker arm or the egr valve/cooler messing up could throw a false code. I would figure if it had 0 compression in #5 i would hear something abnormal but it idles fine! i dont get it... any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.