wheel protection. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wheel protection.

Just put on my new deep dish wheels and only had the last ones on for a year and the back ones had some pretty decent chips from rocks. Any ideas how to prevent this while I head down the bush roads. The last ones were flat black these have a clear coat I hope they are better. I was thinking the 3m tape on the lip like they out on hoods and bumpers. Or this is extremely ghetto solution but stretch duct tape across the tire until the wheel is covered. Lol I know that's funny but I'll be headed down quite the muddy logging road tomorrow so I don't care how funny just don't want too chip these ones too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 PM

Actually the duct tape is a bad idea not only cause how funny it would look lol but if a to k came in the back side it would tumble around in there and make a huge mess. In all reality the chips were not to bad I'm just a perfectionist
Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
yeah thats a tough one. clear coat or not rocks are gonna chip. do you run mud flaps? or do you have rock chips on the fenders too?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:24 PM

I would skip the duct tape, you will probably have some nasty residue that might be hard to get rid of. I would either get a set of crappy wheels to use for this or just screw it and use them. Then every few years if they are bad, send them to be blasted and then recoated.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:53 PM

This is my 4th set of wheels and its funny cause the cheap eagle alloys held up the best. I'm sure it will be fine I only have two more months of this job then I'm moving and it will be a pavement queen. Its just frustrating to spend that much money and have them chip. I guess that's the benefit of the two piece wheel I can send just the lip out to be refinished in a few years. This will be the last set of wheels for this truck. I'm planning on a new 6.7 in a year or two and keep my 6.4 for work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.