How i primed the 6.4 fuel system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How i primed the 6.4 fuel system

My idea may already be on the forum, but as a dodge tech, I was not familiar with the 6.4 fuel system. The truck I worked on was a 2008 f450 6.4. The truck was throwing the water in fuel light. I tried to simply pull the lever and drain it but after draining it 10 times, I constantly saw mold coming out of the valve. I got both new fuel filters (frame mount and high mount filters). I do fuel filters on the cummins all the time, and boy was I in for a task after doing the powerstroke. I ended up having to remove the filter/pump housing, take it apart and clean it out. It was inreal how much mold was growing in there. Previous owner obviously has not changed the filter in a long time. I was not aware of the procedure everyone online goes by. Anywho, I did them both at the same time. Therefor all lines were dry.

After 3 hours on trying to prime the system, I got desperate and decided to hook air into the filler cap and forced the fuel up top (with the fuel pump running) and it FINALLY primed. The first time I hooked air, I had the engine mount fuel filter out and pushed air in the fuel tank until it filled the bowl. Then I put the new filter in and cracked the banjo bolt on the fuel fitting and hit it with air again until a solid stream of fuel came out. About 10 seconds of turning the engine over, it finally crank up and ran. No sputtering, no hesitation; full power.

Im sure someone here will tell me hooking air to the tank is a very bad idea, and it might be. But as desperation came, it was the only thing that worked for me. Maybe it will help someone out in the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 PM

I must point out that I DID NOT PUT SHOP AIR IN THE TANK! I had a hand held air valve and barely let air in the tank. I would guess I had about 2-5psi in the tank. just a rough estimate.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it seems like something had to be a restriction for the air PSI to overcome what a normal key cycling procedure would not

as far as air into the tank I commend u on getting er done
i see you didn't use shop air = smart

but to anyone who tries this u would be shocked at what even 5 psi can do to the shape of plastic fuel tank if not vented so be very careful
Old 03-10-2014, 02:00 PM

Well the pump is in the filter housing. it was 100% air when I put it back in. Fuel pump was priming air, and had no fuel to make a suction. I tried putting fuel into the lines at the upper filter to fill up the lower filter, but it was not working for me.

As for the psi in the tank, I agree! It was a little sketchy, but I knew it was pushing fuel out of the lines and not over pressurizing the tank, so I wasn't too stressed about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.