6.4 Catastrophic Failure after DPF & EGR Delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Catastrophic Failure after DPF & EGR Delete

Had a customer bring in a 2008 that he wanted deleted. Ran just fine when it came in, no issues, 77k miles. Did the deletes with an h&s tuner and set it on tow. Started up fine ran great sounded great. So a guy a work with took it for a test drive. Drove great with plenty of power. Boss took it for a test drive, came back about 30 minutes later, white smoke pouring out of exhaust, bad engine knock. Opened oil cap, tremendous blow by. Oil and coolant level still fine. So my boss is disgusted and says we are looking at a motor job next week. What the f**k could have happened here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 PM

Any one have an idea? These trucks were starting to grow on me but we have already had 3 6.4 engine jobs, one was already deleted. These motors are such pieces of sh*t it's not even funny any more.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:47 PM

Motors are junk. Stick to 6.0's and Duramax's…
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 PM

At first and for a while actually i used to think 6.0's were lemons. But once fixed right, they last. Never had any come back to the shop. 6.4's make power but it just seems like they blow up whenever they want..
Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wow man, I feel terrible for your boss....thats alota cash to drop for a test drive with a freak accident..my sympathies.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

Best guess....with the blow by I would say you most likely have cracked piston...maybe with a leaky injector contributed. If it turns out to be a cracked piston without a leaky injector, the crack was probably there (and small) before you ever started working on it unless your boss was hot rodding it pretty good...but this is probably a case of REALLY bad luck for you guys. Sorry to hear it.
6.4 factory pistons are definitely problematic. My truck is in the shop getting some goodies, but I had the guys do their best with a scope (heads aren't coming off) just to look for any evidence of a crack. The cracks usually start at the lip.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 PM

The 6.4 is actually a great engine. The problem is the the emissions for the most part and owners who think they are driving a 7.3 and maintenance can go by the wayside. I will admit the 6.4 does have some downfalls but if taken care of properly there's no reason it won't last. We are starting to see lots of guys over 300k now with minimal issues. Also if these 6.4 are neglected they will be nothing but a headache.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 PM

Not to contradict myself but there are some 6.4 stories where guys claim they were religious with maintenance and they are on there 3rd engine. I guess every brand has lemons out there
Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
The 6.4 is actually a great engine. The problem is the the emissions for the most part and owners who think they are driving a 7.3 and maintenance can go by the wayside. I will admit the 6.4 does have some downfalls but if taken care of properly there's no reason it won't last. We are starting to see lots of guys over 300k now with minimal issues. Also if these 6.4 are neglected they will be nothing but a headache.
I agree the 6.4 has some great features. Like all engines, it has flaws too, but maintenance is a definite need with the 6.4 and the emissions crap really helps expose the flaws
Problems:
Radiator - Junk
Early radiator hoses - not very good
Early degas setup - bad
Factory water separator - less than optimal
Pistons can be a definite issue especially on tuned trucks and high HP trucks - definitely can be problematic
Plastic Clips and Rocker oiling -not great and is a problem on non-DPF deleted trucks
K16 does seem to hold up quite as well as a CP3
Like is the case with all common rails, a leaky injector will melt the piston if not caught early (and that isn't always possible)
Up pipe failures especially on tuned trucks

Goods:
Bottom end is very stout (unless you count pistons) - as strong as anything made in this century
Stock turbos to hold up well even at 550-600HP
Compound turbos
Power potential
Valvetrain - other than mentioned above, very good from the factory
Very stout factory auto and manual trannies and good overall drivetrain
Factory IC works well for its intended use and holds up well except the earlier builds having condensation issues

I am sure I missing a few things, but that's my basic run down.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 PM

B585 I still have my job 1 degas bottle should I look at upgrading. Was the issue with the level being marked on the wrong spot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.