New to the 6.4 world - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the 6.4 world

Hey all,

Just got an 08 f250 6.4 with 94k on it. has dpf delete and intake with a programmer. Im just alittle new to the 6.4s, happened to stumble upon it at the dealer and couldn't leave without it. Ive had multiple 7.3s for the past 4 years and I know this is a whole new ball game. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some tips or direct me to threads on general maintenance and things to look out for. Ive some just looking for some more help. Id appreciate it!

and p.s. whats with people talking about build date and job 1 and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Biggest thing with the 6.4 compared to 7.3 is maintenance. I change my oil (synthetic) every 5000km. I know its over kill to change synthetic that early but don't care its my engine Haha. Also fuel filters I'd check every oil change until you can see a pattern. If your getting fuel from the same station and notice your filters are clean then you can ball park how long to run them each time. I can't get my fuel from the same locations so I check the top one every oil change. Most of the time its super clean so I leave them the odd time you can tell I clearly got a bad tank cause it was very dirty so I changed them. Also drain the water seperator monthly at a minimum. The job number is just the build date you can do a search on it but I wouldn't worry about it to much even if its a job one chances are its all updated.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:13 PM

I should add I don't go over 10,000km on fuel filters. Once again probably over kill but peace of mind for me.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:42 AM

^^ All great starting points... water separator and filter info especially... couple more that come to mind which may be slightly over basic info but definitely 6.4 info...

- With your truck running does it sound like a bird chirping from the radiator area? No need to lift hood usually, can hear it just standing out front. If so, belts/tensioners/idlers before a tensioner lets loose on yours, once the tensioner goes she takes all sorts of **** out, get it fixed before she goes. I used used a whack of Gates items this go around after my Ford tensioner replacement lasted a whopping 30,000km.

- Check your coolant hose ends at the motor side, top one is pretty easy grab a light and shine it down, bottom one just crawl under and shine up, look for white connectors. If you have black connectors, wait until the radiator starts leaking (oh it will grab an Alradco as they will be done when you need it) and do the hoses/radiator/t-stats whenever you finally get the radiator leak, or do it preventative if you are worried about downtime/leaks. Most guys use something other than Ford Gold coolant as well as it breaks down pretty quick compared to some of the offerings out their (Shell ELC, Cat EC1, etc..)

- Also check into the "venturi tee" on the 6.4's and make sure the dealer did yours proper, guys are still finding them hooked up backwards, super easy to fix and can save some headaches. Pop a new radiator cap on while you are right there.

- If you have 4x4, pull your 3 allen bolts out the front manual hubs and grease up and ensure the front hubs are in good shape inside, if the c-clip popped off you can usually pop back on and then re-grease with no issues. Also check all your front u-joints and front/rear driveshaft u-joints

- Fluids Fluids Fluids, front diff, rear diff, trans, tcase, all super important if your keeping it forever and want the best mileage out of her. Good high quality fluids will be well worth it especially if you are hauling.

And then you can get to the fun stuff I'm sure I'm missing something still...

EDIT: Def. need another coffee! Missing words all over haha, edited some, let me know if I missed something again.

Last edited by AllGo'N'Show; 03-07-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Thanks for all the info! I was gonna get to greasing her this weekend it's actually going to be nice out. I did have problems with the tensioner pulley not even a week after I got it. I heard a rattling noise and it started getting worse so I took it to the dealer a few days ago and just got it back yesterday thank goodness they took care of it, as they should've. I'm gonna try and do a filter change also this weekend. Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Front axle ujoints have grease nipples too, first time around I missed it but mine were long gone anyways.

Good luck let us know what you find while your digging around
Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

See CountryAggies thread in this section. A lot of great info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.