Belt Squeak / Chirp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 05:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Belt Squeak / Chirp

So, took truck to the dealership for belt squeak because I thought it was on the AC belt line and that would be covered under my Extended warranty. But they said it was the Tensioner. (Which was replaced on 4-3-12 according to the Oasis.) So, Go ahead and replace it. I don't have the time right now. They also put the cooling system on the Pressure test and found a leak on the lower hose. Still the old hose with 1 o-ring. Fine, go ahead and replace it. $600.00 later, it's still making the same chirping noise that I took it in for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do they not start the engine and listen to it?????????????? So, I'm greatful that they pressure tested the cooling system and found that, But am SO TICKED that they didn't notice the squeak or chirp.

So, is that telling me that it's ok and they didn't think it was a problem or what? I know we have some Ford Tech's on here so I would love some feed back. I'm all for making people money and shopping local and all that, I'm just ticked that I spent $600.00 on Parts and Labor for $150.00 worth of parts that I could have bought elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Take it back? Why didn't you raise the concern when you started it up at the dealer?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 AM

I had to get my dog to to vet for an appointment that night. I started this morning to go to doctor, it was squeaking. From doc to dealer, squeaking. I kid you not as SOON as I pulled into the service garage, it stopped. Like it knew it was there. They let it idle, drove it, no squeaks. I drove home, no squeaks. So, now I'm letting it sit and cool to see if it's just a cold squeak or what...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

For what it's worth, my belt squaks a little bit too, and i'm not sure what it is.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i had my tensioners replaced under warranty last fall. i picked it up and on the first starts of the day and wet days it still squeaked. I was thinking what gives, well i guess they didnt replaced the belts while they did the tensioner so i did both belts last week and FINALLY i have a truck that doesnt squeak!!!!! both belts from ford was like $55 bux so not bad
Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM

Yep, I'm thinking it's when it's cold. They said if it was the belt that they would put it on for free. So that's good.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:41 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Yep, I'm thinking it's when it's cold. They said if it was the belt that they would put it on for free. So that's good.

what sucks is your tensioners prolly werent bad lol but they are a common failure point so its good its replaced and you dont have to worry about losing your brakes and power steering for a few thousand miles lol. my neighbor lost his main tensioner while towing the bobcat. luckily the trailer brakes worked good lol
Old 03-06-2014, 11:42 AM

I trust the 2 diesel techs at the dealer. I have heard nothing but good things about them. They are brothers, and everyone I talk to says they are the go to guys. So if they said the tensioner was bad, I'm sure it was.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 AM

I talked to them today and they both said it wasn't squeaky when the we're testing things out after repairs. I think after it was sitting outside and the runner got it and dropped it off that it was squeaking then.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 PM

Squeak at the front or back of the motor?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.